Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   another tipping question: gas stations in NJ (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379296)

mikech 11-16-2005 06:39 AM

Re: another tipping question: gas stations in NJ

[ QUOTE ]
if YOU WANT TO PUMP YOUR OWN GAS AT THAT STATION YOU HAVE TO PAY A $5.00 SURCHARGE.

Oh, it all makes since now. If you want them to pump for you, don't tip. But... if you want to pump it yourself, give us an extra $5.

KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ALWAYS HAVE THE CHEAPEST GAS PRICES IN TOWN. Someone please explain how they stay in business. They have to be screwing the customers somehow.

I think it's rigged. Definately rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]
this makes no sense. you have to pay extra to pump your own gas? where do you live?

correia 11-16-2005 11:53 AM

I have lived in NJ all my life and have never myself nor seen anyone else tip a gas station attendant, unless they perform an extra service like washing your windows or something like that.

Emmitt2222 11-16-2005 12:01 PM

Yeah, we don't tip. We also have some of the lowest gas prices that I know of. How people find it an inconvience for someone else to do a job for you is beyond me. You can still get out and stretch except now you have more time. It is funny though that when kids who grow up here go out of state we usually don't learn to pump gas until we are old [I was 18 I think]

jb9 11-16-2005 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
have lived in jersey my whole life, the thought never crossed my mind that pumping gas could be considered a tip-able job.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I lived in jersey most of my life, and I never once thought of tipping for gas. I generally considered it a nuisance to not be able to do it myself.

turnipmonster 11-16-2005 12:11 PM

I never tip if they just pump gas. however on road trips (when the windshield is covered in bugs), I always tip them for washing the winddshield/windows etc.

moondogg 11-16-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we don't tip. We also have some of the lowest gas prices that I know of. How people find it an inconvience for someone else to do a job for you is beyond me. You can still get out and stretch except now you have more time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which part of the problem. In any other state, I can swipe my card, pump my own gas, and be on my way in under 5 minutes. In NJ, it can easily spend 15 minutes or more, especially if they are understaffed (which they usually are).

4_2_it 11-16-2005 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY ALWAYS HAVE THE CHEAPEST GAS PRICES IN TOWN. Someone please explain how they stay in business. They have to be screwing the customers somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

You actually believe that you are getting 100% pure gas at the cheapest place in town?

danzasmack 11-16-2005 12:34 PM

I tried to tip once and the guy told me I gave him too much $.

chucksim 11-16-2005 12:46 PM

One time at the plaza on the ACE I had a guy wash my windows when it was cold and windy. I threw him a couple bucks. Otherwise, if they are their usual surly selves with nothing extra, they get nothing extra.

NobodysFreak 11-16-2005 04:59 PM

here's a tip: get a new job.

anyone who can drive a car can pump their own gas.