Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Would YOU bet out here? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376081)

imported_The Vibesman 11-11-2005 09:47 AM

Re: Would YOU bet out here?

I bet it. Sometimes. Or not. Depending.

Often, though, you can get action on a hand like this because people expect you to slowplay. Many players will think, He doesn't have that...he'd have check-raised/slowplayed that, and raise. Couple this with the fact that many bluffers bluff at paired boards, throw in an aggressive player who thinks you're FOS, a flop bet, beat well, serve.

zuluking 11-11-2005 09:29 PM

I did bet out, and he did fold. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

11-11-2005 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like money. more often than not, the typical party 1/2 6maxer will bet this flop with nothing than call with nothing.

plus, if he checks through and we bet the turn, we will gain a bb or more if the turn improves his hand. we are basically never getting outdrawn here.

why bet in such a small pot with such a huge hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to tell how often you are joking.

But I check also for all these reasons.

Aaron W. 11-11-2005 09:39 PM

I might bet with just king-high here unless villain is tricky/aggressive.

11-11-2005 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have misread the hand?
He has a little more than K high.

Aaron W. 11-11-2005 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may have misread the hand?
He has a little more than K high.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I didn't misread it. I'm implying that K-high would be enough to bet here, so why not bet a made hand as well? I'm donking a wide range of hands and flops HU against a limper.

milesdyson 11-11-2005 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm implying that K-high would be enough to bet here, so why not bet a made hand as well? I'm donking a wide range of hands and flops HU against a limper.

[/ QUOTE ]
so your K-high is enough to bet here... okay. because it's probably the best hand right, but you'd rather just win the pot right now vs. his range. you just want to bet, have him fold, and move on. well now we have a nearly unbeatable hand. i know he is going to fold pretty often if i bet here, and i don't care about protecting my monster (yes, heads up, this is a monster).

why bet? because you also bet weaker hands? i don't think these concerns are worth the bets you lose when he folds a hand that would have put money into the pot had you given him a free card (or the bet that many people will just throw into the pot because you checked to them).

Aaron W. 11-12-2005 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm implying that K-high would be enough to bet here, so why not bet a made hand as well? I'm donking a wide range of hands and flops HU against a limper.

[/ QUOTE ]
so your K-high is enough to bet here... okay. because it's probably the best hand right, but you'd rather just win the pot right now vs. his range. you just want to bet, have him fold, and move on. well now we have a nearly unbeatable hand. i know he is going to fold pretty often if i bet here, and i don't care about protecting my monster (yes, heads up, this is a monster).

why bet? because you also bet weaker hands? i don't think these concerns are worth the bets you lose when he folds a hand that would have put money into the pot had you given him a free card (or the bet that many people will just throw into the pot because you checked to them).

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet because OP provided no read. The default play with flopped trips is to go ahead and bet it unless I have reason to think otherwise. If villain is weak-tight, then give him a free card. You still won't make much off him (13% of the time he'll hit a pair if he has two overcards - if he puts in 2 BB when this happens, then you get a whopping .25 BB on average). Most players are too loose and will go ahead and peel here. I bet king-high for value and protection on the flop (he's *NOT* getting odds to chase with a hand like QJ or T8, but he'll probably call anyway - plus I don't mind him folding and picking up a small pot). I bet trips because I'm hoping he'll peel and I'm expecting him not to call a bet on the turn.

I wouldn't bet 8-high on this flop. He's not going to fold outright often enough and I lose a huge chunk of the bet I put in the pot (the dead money in the pot isn't lucrative enough to pull a total bluff).

milesdyson 11-12-2005 04:36 AM

obviously this is basically speculation on my part, but what i'm saying is that a huge part of what you're missing out on by betting is the entire bet that many players will commit to the pot simply because they are in position heads up and the other guy has checked.

every time we bet and someone folds a hand that would have bet if we had checked, chalk that up as a loss of one small bet (often more because they could hit a hand on the turn).

and back to the betting with A/K-high. are you ever happy if you get a flop call? the pot will be 4.5 small bets on the turn. are you going to throw about another half of the pot in with K-high? no, right? so if he had 6 outs on the flop, he often gets to see the river for 1 small bet. plus he may be calling you with A-high or a better K-high to begin with.

so, you bet a high card hand on these flops because your hand beats his limping range on this ragged flop. you do not want a call. if he calls you're basically stuck checking and folding for the rest of the hand unless you improve.

well i don't want him to fold, so i don't bet.

2+2 wannabe 11-12-2005 06:39 AM

a bet, c/r would be sexy here