Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Are we done with the pennies yet? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=376008)

Sully 11-10-2005 10:02 PM

Re: Are we done with the pennies yet?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSCKY.

Next time you stand in front of me and "stare" at me because I won't front you $.02 (people have asked me to take it out of our tip jar), know that I'll be seriously considering helping you do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

YSSSTESS,TKY.

That means You Should Stop Taking Everything So Seriously, Then Kill Yourself.

It's just writing and exaggeration in order to make a point. I'm not a cashier hater, and as I told another guy, I was a cashier myself. I'm about as non-confrontational as they come.

The reality is that I fork over another dollar. My face would turn red if I held up the line while I returned an item or asked a cashier to give me some of their tips. I always drop a dollar in the tip jar, if there is one. Seriously. Every time.

It's not about cashier abuse, it's about the pointlessness of pennies. I figured that anyone who is a cashier or convenience store owner would probably hate pennies by about ten magnitudes more than me.

Now, YSSSTESS,TKY.

tolbiny 11-10-2005 10:10 PM

you pay for the postage and they are all yours.

Soul Daddy 11-10-2005 10:13 PM

When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though.

IndieMatty 11-10-2005 10:15 PM

Funny post, silly and improbable, but funny nonetheless.

callydrias 11-10-2005 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pennies are the dandruff of our monetary system.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dare you to try to continue this analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Savings bonds are the smegma of our monetary system.

11-10-2005 10:18 PM

Good rant. Post more.

[ QUOTE ]
YSSSTESS,TKY.

That means You Should Stop Taking Everything So Seriously, Then Kill Yourself.

It's just writing and exaggeration in order to make a point.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh. Good advice. Some people really need to lighten up.

11-10-2005 10:37 PM

An average person (I think the average life expectancy is about 80 years) will waste $405,112.89 if they throw away a penny a day. I assumed you would invest $3.65 every year, earning a reasonable rate of return of 12%. Correct me if this seems wrong.

Calculated Here

Note: This site only allows for 50 years, so you have to do 50 first and then another 30.

ChipWrecked 11-10-2005 10:42 PM

Until sales taxes are charged in increments of nickels, and stores quit marking prices to $X.99, you might as well save your breath.

loose passive 11-10-2005 10:45 PM

Here is what to do with your pennies...

Amazon.com Inc. sees gold in nickels, dimes and pennies. Hoping to scrounge market share from America's couch cushions, the world's biggest online retailer plans to announce Tuesday a partnership to offer Amazon gift certificates at thousands of change-counting machines operated by Coinstar Inc.

The deal allows Coinstar customers to receive an instant Amazon gift certificate for the amount of change they dump into a green Coinstar machine, eliminating the 8.9 percent service fee.

tonypaladino 11-10-2005 10:51 PM

thats a great idea for Amazon