Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Should abusing animals be illegal? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370244)

hmkpoker 11-03-2005 08:10 PM

Re: Should abusing animals be illegal?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, but the distinction is still arbitrary. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

What distinction is arbitrary? The distinction of which animals are more sentient? I don't think so. Regardless, the point is that some animals are able to feel more pain, and suffer more than others. We empathize with those animals, and make it illegal to unnecessarily cause them harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean the distinction between which animals should get rights and which shouldn't, based on sentience level. I suppose different animals could get different levels of rights depending on their level of sentience.

I don't know. I don't feel very strongly on this issue one way or the other.

11-03-2005 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean the distinction between which animals should get rights and which shouldn't, based on sentience level. I suppose different animals could get different levels of rights depending on their level of sentience.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a judgement call, but that seems to be the most objective criteria. The others would be how familiar we are with the animal, how domesticated it is, how much it resembles us, and makes a good pet. So, a dolphin is really high on the sentient scale, but doesn't resemble us as much, so people aren't as empathetic toward them. I think that's bad criteria, though. We can pretty objectively measure sentience... by knowing the size of the brain, the communication skills within the group, and how they behave. I suppose we could measure them for higher brain-wave activity, too.

You don't care much either way, since you are on the top of the sentient scale. But, if we ever get visited by a higher-intelligent more-sentient extraterrestrial species... we would all care a lot more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hmkpoker 11-04-2005 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't care much either way, since you are on the top of the sentient scale. But, if we ever get visited by a higher-intelligent more-sentient extraterrestrial species... we would all care a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

What matters then is, do they care? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

11-04-2005 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You don't care much either way, since you are on the top of the sentient scale. But, if we ever get visited by a higher-intelligent more-sentient extraterrestrial species... we would all care a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

What matters then is, do they care? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as they can, I'm sure.

BigSoonerFan 11-04-2005 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should it be illegal to abuse animals (i.e. torture them) if you own them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, whether you own them or not.

[ QUOTE ]
Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer: Because they're living, breathing, feeling beings. That's why I'm a vegetarian.

tolbiny 11-04-2005 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The same logic could be applied to murder. People could still do it and wierd legal issues ccouild and have arisen. But maybe you think muder should be legal too because it satisfies your premises.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, because I pumped out a quick, stupid answer.

I should have mentioned that I believe human beings should have rights that animals quite simply don't have. Society should put humans first because we're the ones who contribute to it. Animals, by contrast, are food, clothing and entertainment to us. I really don't see any reason to protect their rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vagrants, the homeless, mentally retarded- can i torture them as well?
Secondly cats dogs and other animals were domesticated because they did contribute to society- cats control rodent populations (and are still useful in this regard) dogs have been used for transportation, hunting, home protection, entertainment and food. Both species have gained from these relationships which is why they exist.

11-04-2005 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should it be illegal to abuse children (i.e. torture them) if you own them?

Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer to the question above should be the same answer.