Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   50/100 vs. GoG (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=370013)

11-02-2005 08:51 AM

Re: 50/100 vs. GoG

[ QUOTE ]
Or, alternatively, we do 'the Bruiser', that is, 'check-call, check-call, check-fold'

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

I can see this being the new buzzword

cero_z 11-02-2005 10:00 AM

Hi Bruiser,

Lead on the flop. Playing it your way has led you to choosing between giving a free card when you're ahead and playing a big pot when he has you beat or has a nice draw, or wants to test you.

As you played it, check the turn, and if he bets a non-threatening card, raise him big. Betting out on the turn really puts him in charge; he gets to decide if he puts any significant money in the pot, pretty much knowing you have something. If you check-raise, at least his turn bet is made without that information.

coltrane 11-02-2005 10:41 AM

hey Bruiser,

Gab's not an idiot and he's got position on you and I'm sure he knows your style well....I don't like a stop and go in this situation because it basically puts him "in charge" (like Cero said) and in a spot where he can't make a mistake....you'll be defining your hand pretty well (I think) and he'll basically either fold, raise a better hand, semi-bluff a hand that has a lot of outs, or put you in a tough spot with some other hand.....again, I'm not exactly sure how you play your other hands, but let me ask you, how would you play a small flush?.....I think you should play this hand like that....the other suggestion is, it's 4-handed, why not reraise big preflop and then stick your stack in there?....

theBruiser500 11-02-2005 10:45 AM

HEy cero z that's an interesting idea didn't even occur to me to lead out, your line is appealing, those are the kind of thoughts I was having during the hand. Against a lot of opponents I would lead the turn and fold to a raise but against GoG I think I need to consider calling a raise on the turn if he goes all in. GoG any thoughts here or are they all still secret?

Chris Daddy Cool 11-02-2005 12:08 PM

after reading a couple of the posts, i think checkraising the flop is the absolute worse way to go.

bruiser, would you ever checkcall the flop and lead bet the turn with a monster hand? because checkcalling-betting is a very transparent play to good observent players if you only do it with vurnurable hands.

as it was i would have lead the flop myself and probably lead the turn again after that, being careful not to go broke. or start checkcalling-betting flopped flushes more to protect hands like these.

scdavis0 11-02-2005 12:40 PM

I don't understand the suggestion of leading the flop.

In these heads up matches, the out of position caller checks the flop basically 100% of the time. The preflop raiser is going to bet basically 100%. Why would you voluntarily give up so much information and value by making your default play as leading flop with a hand as good as TPTK?

You can argue that you'll start to lead the flop with a wide range of hands. Once your opponent picks up on this it's not a great default line to be using. The pot has been inflated out of position with 2 additional streets of betting.

This isn't anywhere near as strong a default play as check-call, lead turn or even check raise.

There is also some serious meta game information missing. For example, how well "protected" are your passive lines, such as check-call, check-call, check? Can GoG narrow your hand range down to one of marginal strength with this line?

11-02-2005 12:44 PM

just lead the flop

fsuplayer 11-02-2005 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In these heads up matches, the out of position caller checks the flop basically 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

have you actually played HU?

scdavis0 11-02-2005 12:49 PM

Yes.

Assume a heads up match against two good aggressive players, with the SB on the button.

What percent of the time does the action go:

Button raise
BB call
BB check
Button bet

Basically always.

More importantly, what percent of the time has Brusier ever just led out here? 0%? 5%?

You know he's gonna bet. He knows that you know he's gonna bet. Why would you lead with TPTK?

flawless_victory 11-02-2005 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You know he's gonna bet. He knows that you know he's gonna bet. Why would you lead with TPTK?

[/ QUOTE ]so you can lead w/ 6high and top set.

i mean, youre serious right?