Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cambridge, UK. Would I like it? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=369643)

spamuell 11-02-2005 05:56 AM

Re: Cambridge, UK. Would I like it?

[ QUOTE ]
Is a car a necessity in Cambridge? Seems like everyone rides bikes...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you live relatively centrally then no, a car isn't at all necessary and in fact would just be an annoying expense as most of the centre is pedestrianised anyway and difficult to park in.

nicky g 11-02-2005 06:17 AM

Perhaps worth mentioning that central Cambridge gets ridiculously over-crowded with tourists/day-trippers in the summer.

daveymck 11-02-2005 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps worth mentioning that central Cambridge gets ridiculously over-crowded with tourists/day-trippers in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strangely Oxford gets overun in the summer with hot Brazilian language students (my office overlooks where they sit on the grass and lunch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), another reason for Oxford.

SOunds like the op would prefer to be in London anyway probably better off going for a job there.

ceyoung 11-02-2005 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

SOunds like the op would prefer to be in London anyway probably better off going for a job there.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. but there aren't many chemical engineering or materials science companies in london. the main reason i moved to the UK was to live in london.

daveymck 11-02-2005 07:08 AM

Imperial College seems to be pushing itself bigtime as a research uni, no opportunities there?

Edit It seemed to be a big on enginerring and maths/sccience based stuff on the campus I was on when working there.

ceyoung 11-02-2005 07:41 AM

eh, im trying to get away from research and go into marketing and sales for an engineering company.

stigmata 11-02-2005 08:17 AM

No offense, but pretty much anywhere is an improvement over Watford [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Like what was said earlier, Oxford has a bit more of a "real town" rather than just being a University. Cambridge is nice though, obviously a beautiful city, nice pubs, relaxed atmosphere. It depends what you like though. Maybe for a 23yo you might be a bit bored there to be honest, unless you can fit in well with upper-class students.

ceyoung 11-02-2005 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but pretty much anywhere is an improvement over Watford [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but watford is free.

[ QUOTE ]
unless you can fit in well with upper-class students.

[/ QUOTE ]

im sure i could, but getting to know some would probably be tough.

can you guys recommend a website for short-term housing or sublets? like a classifieds page? it looks like im going to take a 1-month position to start off, so i can see if i like it and they are satisfied with my work.