Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Q9o on button (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=368346)

brettbrettr 10-31-2005 01:31 AM

Re: Q9o on button

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is, there are very few cards on the turn that are gonna be safe for us to push our edge then. The whole situation kinda sucks no matter which way you look at it

[/ QUOTE ]

Safe is relative. The only cards I'm super scared of are aces and kings.

Luv2DriveTT 10-31-2005 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
isn't this a spot where we sacrifice an equity edge for a greater edge on turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I played it this way. But am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise for value! This is not a good time to sacrifice your equity edge on the flop, you are missing valuable bets. Your opponents are calling with any overcards, many will fold the turn... some will wait to the river with Axo high but will fold to a turn raise. They are weak and passive, get your raise in now.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Redd 10-31-2005 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How bout pre-flop? I think its maybe almost close, and prob doesn't much matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO it's close with one less limper. You're in a different situation than me, but I don't trust my postflop skills enough to extract value with this hand in a field this big.

TomBrooks 10-31-2005 03:17 AM

I like the call because I think it's better not to bloat this pot with a rather vulnerable pair when raising is only likely to knock out one player at most.

See what comes on the turn.

TomBrooks 10-31-2005 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if a rag hits and BB bets you may lose the players in between.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to lose as many players as possible from this hand and would gladly settle for a 10 BBish pot with a pair of nines, decent kicker.

If Hero raises the flop, SB folds and everyone else calls, there will be 8.5 BB in the pot on the turn. If a blank comes and everyone checks to Hero and he bets, anyone with a gutshot or better is being offered 9.5:1 to take a look at the river. Without the flop raise, they would be getting only 7:1. At least you might be able to get gutshots to fold.

ZootMurph 10-31-2005 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a live 10/20 game, at a yet to be shutdown NYC card club

Right now its 6 handed, but no one here really adjusts so I post here instead of HUSH.

UTG, UTG+1, CO limp, I limp OTB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], both blinds call.

6 to the flop for 6 sbs: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Lagy BB bets, all call, I call (?), sb folds.

The flop play is pretty much what I'm wondering about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read all the other posts, so someone may have already pointed all this out...

6 handed, with a bunch of limpers in front, I'm raising with Q9o if I plan on playing it at all. Whether I play it depends on the table read I have.

As for the flop, the pot is getting big and will get bigger quickly. This round is the only chance I can see to push out over cards, so I raise the flop. Anyone with a flush draw is in to the river no matter how you play it, so you might as well get more money into the pot while you are ahead. Just calling here leaves too many possibilities out against you, and doesn't have the effect of managing pot odds against a flush draw, which would be the only reason I could see in smooth calling here.

ErrantNight 10-31-2005 09:01 AM

fwiw i like your preflop limp from what i can gleam about the makeup of the crowd.

ErrantNight 10-31-2005 09:03 AM

that's half the reason to wait for the turn. but the second half is some possibility of protecting your hand. since you know they're passive turn players, and you don't have position to protect your hand, there's not much of a chance to protect your hand here... raise for value.

brettbrettr 10-31-2005 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 handed, with a bunch of limpers in front, I'm raising with Q9o if I plan on playing it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me no likey.