Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What do you consider for someone to call themsevles PRO/SEMI-PRO/ETC? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=367358)

SinCityGuy 10-28-2005 08:10 PM

Re: What do you consider for someone to call themsevles PRO/SEMI-PRO/E

[ QUOTE ]
The people who make $10k-$40k/year I think are also something but I don't know what to call them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that there are millions of Americans with full-time jobs who make less than $40k per year, right?

RED_RAIN 10-28-2005 08:48 PM

Yes, and I truely wonder how people live on say 20-25k a year. Not being a dick, but taken back.

SinCityGuy 10-28-2005 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, and I truely wonder how people live on say 20-25k a year. Not being a dick, but taken back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree that it wouldn't be easy to live on, but that wasn't my point.

If a poker player who makes $40K per year isn't a professional, then neither is an Accountant who makes $40K per year.

A_C_Slater 10-28-2005 09:16 PM

I am the Emperor of America and protectorate of Mexico. What do you say to that, buddy?

benfranklin 10-28-2005 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some people say that cucumbers taste better pickled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if they are pickled by a pro. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Guthrie 10-29-2005 01:54 AM

How utterly absurd. My sister has a masters degree in education and has been teaching 28 years. She has yet to make $50K in a year. I'll tell her that some arrogant college boy doesn't think she's a professional.

SinCityGuy 10-29-2005 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am the Emperor of America and protectorate of Mexico. What do you say to that, buddy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say your approval rating is at 39% right now, which is an all-time low for a second term president. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

10-29-2005 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How utterly absurd. My sister has a masters degree in education and has been teaching 28 years. She has yet to make $50K in a year. I'll tell her that some arrogant college boy doesn't think she's a professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comparing a poker pro to a teacher is a bit of an apples/oranges deal.

Teachers have a much smaller income range than poker players.

A more accurate comparison would be with actors. Some barely eke out a living while some, albeit very few, make millions a year.

IMO, If you can make a 'living' at poker, regardless of what the level of that living is, you're a pro.

RED_RAIN 10-29-2005 11:50 AM

I'm talking about poker players only

TexArcher 10-29-2005 12:21 PM

Pro is easy - if poker is your only source of income you are a professional poker player. How much you make doesn't matter, someone in a rathole little apartment who makes $1500 a month on poker is a professional if it pays the rent, buys his clothes and food, etc.

Semi-pro is very subjective and almost impossible to define. I guess I would say that if you play and win a significant amount of money consistently and you count on that money as part of your income you are a semi-pro.