Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Air Force coach's racial comments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=366111)

10-26-2005 10:43 PM

Re: Air Force coach\'s racial comments

do you think it's racist of me to say that the vast majority of Swedish people are taller than the vast majority of Italians?

HDPM 10-27-2005 12:08 AM

Here is an article that has more of his quotations, and IMO they are worse than the quote in the OP. LINK

He looks like an idiot. The article also talked about the religious problem from a few months ago. To me that was very bad and should have resulted in his firing.

The USAFA has a mission, and that is to produce officers for the USAF. I know they think that football plays a role in developing the mentality they want at the academy. I tend to disagree with the overall approach there for various reasons and from some personal experiences with their end product, but I think they are right that a military academy uses team sports to contribute to the cohesion of the unit and to assist in the mission of the academy. To that end, a USAF officer needs to work with people of all religions and races, and must be extremely careful to act appropriately with subordinates and local populations of other faiths as they serve as officers overseas. It is clear that the coach taught players that proselytizing and religious discrimination at taxpayer expense was OK. He undermined morale at a military installtion and taught a message contrary to the message officers should take from their experience at the academy. This was a firing offense IMO. But he kept his job since not much has come of the fact that the USAFA was full of evangelicals who discriminated. (The article mentions this, and I have read some other stuff but no links right now.)

There are some problems at the USAFA IMO and the coach isn't helping. This latest thing shows he is a moron, but there's a shock. The football coach is a dolt. Another happy use of tax dollars.

2+2 wannabe 10-27-2005 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think it's racist of me to say that the vast majority of Swedish people are taller than the vast majority of Italians?

[/ QUOTE ]

worst. analogy. ever.

10-27-2005 12:20 AM

why?

ClaytonN 10-27-2005 12:31 AM

Because Italian and Swedish is different than black and white, stupid.

ClaytonN 10-27-2005 12:32 AM

By the way, you're all racist.

10-27-2005 12:32 AM

I see absolutely nothing wrong with these comments. The man speaks the truth.

10-27-2005 12:44 AM

again, why? don't these 2 groups have unique physical and genetic traits that have been passed down for generations and generations? kind of like africans and northern european caucasions?

I am making no claim of racial superiority - or deficiency - of any one race. I'm just trying to say that indeed we are all different, and we shouldn't be afraid to say it.

ClaytonN 10-27-2005 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
again, why? don't these 2 groups have unique physical and genetic traits that have been passed down for generations and generations?

[/ QUOTE ]

They do. Just not nearly as much as blacks and whites. Like, by a mile and a half.

This goes down more to societal perception than genetics. I know where you're going with this, but thanks to history and society, that's just the fact of life.

Voltron87 10-27-2005 02:34 AM

why is it unreasonable to say that a black ethnic gene pool might be different than the anglo saxon one (just examples, there are tons of different white gene pools and tons of different african ones)? there are white people with primarily black hair and pale skin (irish) and there are swedish people. obviously they have different traits. why can't one trait be strength or agility?