Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   55s: I do not know if I am running horribly or playing like a donk... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=364467)

suited_ace 10-25-2005 01:25 AM

Re: 55s: I do not know if I am running horribly or playing like a donk

I'm just not going to repeat what other people said (I agree almost completely w/ Bigwig), but I'll tell you this: time for a poker break. You need a fresh (re)start.

Nick M 10-25-2005 01:38 AM

Re: 55s: I do not know if I am running horribly or playing like a donk...

i think 25 buyins is a huge amount to drop. If you don't play full time, this is month crushing.

Karak567 10-25-2005 02:13 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. Some good info from some great posters here. I think you are right, I do need a little "break." I didn't play any SNGs today, although I did play two MTTs and make the money in both, which was confidence boosting.

I know I am a better player than that 88 hand and I think, if I can keep my cool, I can be one of the best at the 55s. My problem is I often lose my discipline and am plagued by FPS.

Really don't have any reads on that red guy either.

I am going to drop to the 33s until I get my confidence back. I just cashed out and bought a 2001FP recently too, eeeeek.

axeshigh 10-25-2005 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think 25 buyins is a huge amount to drop. If you don't play full time, this is month crushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I, and I would guess most of the 8-tablers 10-15% ROIers, have a 10-15 buyin drop every other day and a 25 buyin drop every other week. It happens.

tigerite 10-25-2005 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on a 30 buyin heater, though.. and I've not even played 100 yet [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

tigerite 10-25-2005 05:12 AM

Ok well here's what I would do

#1 Fold
#2 Push (very easy)
#3 Push (ditto)
#4 VERY close, but I think I fold, as both the stacks to act are huge and will call with absolute crap (but not LOADS more than they have to to make it -$EV for us, unless they call with loads of suited kings and other crud)
#5 I'd just limp, not raise. I'd not be in this position so I don't know
#6 I just think they call too much here, but it's not as bad as I thought at first.
#7 Depends how loose the blinds are, as they both have you covered by quite a bit, but not too much that a call won't hurt them. I think I'd push this too.

bennies 10-25-2005 05:19 AM

Everyone helped already. I just want to say that you shouldn't change too much. Besides the 88 and the 84 I think your play is fine. The 56s and the J2 I believe are easily +EV.

10-25-2005 07:32 AM

It seems that personal views on pushes are indeed important judging by the conflicting responses you are getting on the 84 hand and j2 hand among others.

I just wanted to add that these situations have to be put into context to really make a good decision. I can say j2, that's crap wait for a better hand which would be my default play but then again you can almost always make an argument for pushing as the first one in to steal the blinds so I can't criticize without knowing the context. If you have not played a hand for almost 2 rounds it might be advisable to push with a hand that I would normally chuck, see what I mean? At some point context becomes more important than the cards you hold and without knowing the context it's hard to criticize. Or to put it another way, as we used to say when I lived in Canada - "you are your own liquor control boad", (I hope you get my drift even if you haven't heard that saying).

The QT hand hand also shows how there is room for different styles, almost everyone says fold and then along comes the much respected adanthar and says pushing is better. Calling, folding and pushing all have some merit, you could certainly argue it either way and it just goes to show what an interesting game poker can be. Adanthar's comment is also interesting in that he said 6 months ago he would have folded the QT, just goes to show that good players are constantly re-evaluating their game which I'm sure is as it should be. Evolve or get left behind.

Wise decision to drop down to get your confidence back, no shame in that and I'm happy to not have you to contend with in the 55's though I'm sure you'll be back soon. I have played some 33's myself when running really bad and it has worked out good for me and I have usually came back to 55's very quickly.

Good post!

10-25-2005 07:39 AM

Whether you play full time or not is irrelevant. 25 buyins is 25 buyins either way and 25 buyin drops are not uncommon at all. I don't keep stats on stuff like this but I would estimate (very roughly) that I have had 3-4 25 buyin drops over my last 2000 sng's and yes I did show a decent profit through those 2000.

AA suited 10-25-2005 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the replies guys. Some good info from some great posters here. I think you are right, I do need a little "break." I didn't play any SNGs today, although I did play two MTTs and make the money in both, which was confidence boosting.

I know I am a better player than that 88 hand and I think, if I can keep my cool, I can be one of the best at the 55s. My problem is I often lose my discipline and am plagued by FPS.

Really don't have any reads on that red guy either.

I am going to drop to the 33s until I get my confidence back. I just cashed out and bought a 2001FP recently too, eeeeek.

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe.. always happens when you buy something big.

i bought a car, 2001f, and a laptop in the same month, then a 649 game breakeven streak hit. YOW! i was ready to fill out a McDonalds application.