Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   declaring all-in in a limit game (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=362958)

Randy_Refeld 10-22-2005 10:06 PM

Re: declaring all-in in a limit game

One more note on this if playign I think it is better to just keep raising, instead of slowing the action by asking if they want to go all in. They might reconsider their position.

I was once playing with a drunk that woudl raise to the felt heads up on the end as a bluff; not once in a while, but everytime he had no pair on the end all the money was going in (except I think I was the only one brave enough to go all-in with him without the nuts).

SA125 10-22-2005 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more note on this if playign I think it is better to just keep raising, instead of slowing the action by asking if they want to go all in. They might reconsider their position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The reason I wanted to know was in case I was ever asked. I figured I'd ask the dealer if it was okay before answering and that could make it binding.

Randy_Refeld 10-22-2005 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. The reason I wanted to know was in case I was ever asked. I figured I'd ask the dealer if it was okay before answering and that could make it binding.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer won't know. I mean the dealer might know, but the delaer can say one thing and then have the floor rule differently.

MicroBob 10-22-2005 10:43 PM

Hence the reason that players should just not make things up as they go along.

The dealers don't know.
randy is familiar with another rule that he thinks a minority of floor would know.
Obviously if they don't know then the players can't be expected to know either.

Poker rules are a big mystery and I'm getting the impression that we're all playing a game that nobody knows the rules to.

SA125 10-23-2005 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The dealer won't know. I mean the dealer might know, but the delaer can say one thing and then have the floor rule differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't saying the dealer would know and I wouldn't care if they did. It's all hypothetical. I'd just make sure the dealer was aware of it and then ask them if it was ok to avoid having them play dumb later and saying they didn't know what was going on.

FWIW - many Taj dealers are too lax with the rules. Things like a player moving more than 3 seats away from the button. Some dealers won't say anything and just keep dealing. The players have to take control and tell the dealer he has to post. Not good.

Al_Capone_Junior 10-23-2005 01:11 PM

You generally have to already have overs in place before a hand starts, otherwise everything I already said still applies.

al

CORed 10-24-2005 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok so now my question is was that all in declare actually binding?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You have to go through the motions and raise, reraise, re-reraise, re-re-raise, etc. at the limit you are playing at until you are actually out of chips (instert house rules diclaimer here).

A dealer here recently got busted by gaming for allowing a few players to "cap it" to $30 in one betting motion in a 5/5 limit game without going through raise, reraise motions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure this is true in Colorado, where there is a $5 limit on all bets and the Gaming commission is notorious for never letting common sense interfere with a strictly literal interpretation of the regulations. However, it would not surprise me if cardrooms in states with less stringent regulations would allow players heads up in a limit game save time. If the rules permit them to do this, surely the all-in declaration should be binding, and and making an all-in declaration and not honoring it when called is the lowest form of angle shooting in any case.

chucksim 10-24-2005 10:13 AM

I had this happen at the Borg this past spring (3/6). I have AJ in the SB and complete. 5 to a flop of A A 4 rainbow. I bet out, only button (tightish college age kid) calls. Next card is a 3. I bet, he raises, I reraise, he reraises. Oops...he must have played A3, since he didn't look like a 2-5 kind of guy. I call. Last card, J.

It goes check-bet-raise-reraise-reraise. At this point, he says "If he's not stopping, I'm not", and pushes his chips(about $150) forward. I have him covered. Dealer, other players, and myself all say "You can't do that", the dealer takes another $12 off the stacks, declaring a raise.

I reraise, he says the same thing. Now the dealer gives me a look and I ask him "Will you let him do this?" He says "If you both want to, I have no problem". I check the board one more time to be sure I'm not missing a SF out there, say OK and call. He turns up A3o and left the room very quickly, muttering about his stupidity.

In reading Rick's comments in this thread, I probably should have asked for the floor right there, just to be sure he didn't pull something similar and try to take it all back after the fact.

10-24-2005 11:47 AM

Going all-in is conceptually different than raising 10+ times. It is much easier to go all-in with a second best hand than believe you are ahead after getting raised 10 times in a row. The idea during these fixed limit games is to help players stay in the game by not going bust (sort of a "protection" for the weaker players). Allowing a play that makes it easier to go bust would be against the nature of a fixed limit game. On a side note, I've wondered about this situation before, and I would only go more than 5 bets if I had the stone cold nuts. Hopefully I'll have an opponent willing to bet all her chips when that happens. I would still likely end up going through the actions anyway.

10-24-2005 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The idea during these fixed limit games is to help players stay in the game by not going bust (sort of a "protection" for the weaker players). Allowing a play that makes it easier to go bust would be against the nature of a fixed limit game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh...so now limit poker is no longer a different game than no-limit, it's just training wheels until you are ready for no-limit. Boy oh boy I can't wait until I'm ready to graduate from my 40-80 LHE game to the 2/5 NLH game.