Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Play a Hand With the Masters #2 River (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=358261)

SossMan 10-15-2005 04:08 PM

Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 River

[ QUOTE ]
I check behind. Although the J is unlikely to have helped villian as he would have bet it, there is still a chance that he might feel he is inducing a bet from us by checking. The J of diamonds is one of the worst cards for our hand. The pot is huge already, we are WAWB, just check and see.

[/ QUOTE ]

on the river, you are always WAWB

McMelchior 10-15-2005 04:11 PM

We've been a calling station all along since the flop, so there's really no reason villian wouldn't bet into us with a winning hand here, considering the pot odds would be out of this world had he bet.

But the river J is really bad news. AJ and KJ that we potentially could have been ahead of just made it. QT is not going to fold to a bet here.

The only hand we have a potential for folding here is another AK. And even that is doubtful.

I guess I'm just not sofisticated enough to understand the depths of this hand. But at this point we're left with less than 1,000 in chips, and that's just not good enough to continue on. We just need to win 25% of the times to make this a correct push. So that's what I'm going to do, in the faint hope of making villain fold AK.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

10-15-2005 04:19 PM

I'm going to advocate checking back here:

a. Giga has no read on villain, so villain may very well be either a super tricky player OR just not a good one.

b. 900 chips left if you check back. at 25/50 blinds, you still have the opportunity to do some manuevering on a flop or two. Double up once or go on a mini-rush, and you still have a chance.

c. I believe that the only way our villain calls an all-in is if he hit his boat with AJ OR if he was just uber dumb and hit a set with KJ. Giga has very little to gain here - about a 30% chance of a call with his hand being best and a 75 to 80% chance of losing the hand if it is not best (I'll give 20% benefit of doubt that Villain has KJ and is now afraid of the flush).

4. If Villain was so committed, he would probably fire away beforehand anyway. Maybe he'd try to use the river J as a scare card against Giga, hope that Giga is tight/weak enough to fold the best hand in the eye of a potential flush and/or full house. Checking here is basically saying that he is giving up the hand OR that he is trapping Giga.

Check the sucker down. If you have the best hand, take the nice pot and reverse your style of play the next time you hit soemthing similiar.

Roman 10-15-2005 04:20 PM

this hand sucked imo, ill look for one for next week to make this a little more interesting.

curtains 10-15-2005 04:28 PM

Ok maybe it sucked, but Gigabet played every street completely different than almost every pro here would have played it. Either Giga played it like a moron, or it's at least somewhat interesting.

Stop insulting the hand for being boring and at least insult Gigabet for playing it strangely or something, which is what everyone is basically doing when they say this hand is boring and obvious and have suggested a different course of action than the hero on every street.

Roman 10-15-2005 04:31 PM

I dont think it makes much of a difference anyway *yawn*.

EverettKings 10-15-2005 04:34 PM

In the words of strassa2, "*yawn*, push"

He obviously would expect a call if he put us all in, so by checking he obviously isn't sure if he's ahead (in other words, he can't beat AK). But he will most definitely be calling with anything half decent when we bet. Checking is awful.

Everett

Lloyd 10-15-2005 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok maybe it sucked, but Gigabet played every street completely different than almost every pro here would have played it. Either Giga played it like a moron, or it's at least somewhat interesting.

Stop insulting the hand for being boring and at least insult Gigabet for playing it strangely or something, which is what everyone is basically doing when they say this hand is boring and obvious and have suggested a different course of action than the hero on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. I've been biting my tounge but what you have said is so right on. The reality is that Gigabet is one of the top players around (not just in 2+2 but anywhere). The fact that this hand was played so differently than what most people recommend should suggest that there is something more to it. Perhaps, just perhaps, there are alternative ways to playing (and thinking about) what many people consider a routine hand.

TomHimself 10-15-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking is awful.

[/ QUOTE ] how so?
the only hands we are beating now are AT,AQ,KT,KQ, and chop with AK but villian did play the hand very strange with his river check so maybe he is weak and will call a push when we have him beat. i wouldve pushed the turn FWIW.

edit-villian could have A9 OR A8 that we have beat or maybe A7 and he got counterfeited on river

he probaly had A7

Jman28 10-15-2005 04:48 PM

I was right

Now you can push though.