Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   out to dinner, is this a dick move? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=357557)

10-14-2005 12:28 PM

Re: out to dinner, is this a dick move?

no. Rules are rules. They set the rule up, they got to live by it. If this is a "nice restaurant", then you've probably already paid for the desert anyway.

IndieMatty 10-14-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

10-14-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's their policy, but the waiter is probably the one paying for the desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd be very surprised if that's all that happens to the server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they should take him out and put him in a hole in the desert.

wtf? So he failed to card a 25-year old... not grounds for firing. Jesus.

10-14-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Waiters, at most restaurants, have to prepare deserts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard this a few times. I've worked at several restaurants and never prepared my own desserts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it just depends. At a minimum, the waiter does have to get the desert "from the back." Upset server = extra sauce.

IndieMatty 10-14-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no. Rules are rules. They set the rule up, they got to live by it. If this is a "nice restaurant", then you've probably already paid for the desert anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add, I doubt this is a "nice restaurant"; what halfway decent place has a gimmick like this?

daryn 10-14-2005 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

[/ QUOTE ]

you're saying he woudln't answer the question honestly?

Tyler Durden 10-14-2005 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. They put it on the goddamn menu.

Soul Daddy 10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to add, I doubt this is a "nice restaurant"; what halfway decent place has a gimmick like this?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the thing. It's most certainly not a gimmick to get people in the door. It's a measure to weed out those that might cost them a lot of money in the future.

TheMainEvent 10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but if you asked him who pays for the dessert and whether he is likely to get canned I think he is obliged to give you an honest answer. There's no way it doesn't screw him at all.

10-14-2005 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf? So he failed to card a 25-year old... not grounds for firing. Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not carding is a very serious restaurant offense. Obviously not carding a 25 year old is not going to get the restaurant fined, however, restaurant management put that NARC policy in place to cover their butts and will not be happy with a server potentially getting them fined and a liquor license taken away.

People get fired for a lot less.