Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How much would this property cost in various parts of the U.S (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356362)

partygirluk 10-12-2005 09:03 PM

Re: How much would this property cost in various parts of the U.S

I don't mind a more rural environment. I live on the very outskirts of london. Having a nice, queitish park nearby would be ideal.

kenberman 10-12-2005 09:21 PM

near Harvard Square, decent 2 bedroom condos will cost around $450K. near MIT, a bit cheaper.

eastbay 10-12-2005 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, this is probably an impossible question.

I'm looking to buy a property when I start my PhD. Where I do my PhD is as yet unknown. I am looking for a 2 bedroom place. I imagine there will be one big living/reception room with an adjoining kitchen. I would like to live in a decent neighbourhood (i.e. low crime) within 5 miles of campus.

Universities I would like to get into include:

Stanford
Berkeley

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, what is the size of your trust fund, exactly?

eastbay

blendedsuit 10-12-2005 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new Harvard Square, decent 2 bedroom condos will cost around $450K. near MIT, a bit cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
no way, i challenge you to find a listing and post a link.. San Fran has the hottest/most expensive city real estate market, with Boston 2nd. I dont know about chicago.

bravos1 10-12-2005 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Something palatial around Stanford would cost you *way* more than 700k.

The housing market here in the Bay Area has been going up and up and up for quite a while. I regret not buying 4 or 5 years ago when I though, "Holy [censored]! $450k for that 1 bedroom condo?" 6-figures of rent later, that condo sells for more than double what I could have paid.

Though we are due for at least a small correction sometime soon. Some signs point to things flattening out already or slightly dipping, but nothing solid yet. Of course I've thought the same thing every year since.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't even want to hear my 'holy [censored] why did I do that' bay area property story.

It's very very ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.. mine has a happy ending .. well so far!

BruinEric 10-12-2005 09:58 PM

For UC Berkeley and/or Stanford, I highly recommend renting. As things progress, contact each school to understand possible student housing options. The living areas around each of those schools is very different.

I spent the night at a house adjoining the U of Chicago 15 years ago or so. You must be aware that it closely adjoins a very troubled neighborhood. You wouldn't want to pick something out by mapquest.

kenberman 10-12-2005 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
new Harvard Square, decent 2 bedroom condos will cost around $450K. near MIT, a bit cheaper.

[/ QUOTE ]
no way, i challenge you to find a listing and post a link.. San Fran has the hottest/most expensive city real estate market, with Boston 2nd. I dont know about chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

665 Sq foot 1 bedroom, ok condo in Harvard Square under agreement for $425k

UCF THAYER 10-12-2005 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there is quite a difference in "a decent 2 bedroom" and a 665 Sq foot 1 bedroom.

4thstreetpete 10-12-2005 10:46 PM

jesus christ! [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

kenberman 10-12-2005 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say there is quite a difference in "a decent 2 bedroom" and a 665 Sq foot 1 bedroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly...that's what I was trying to prove. that it would cost at least $450 for this in harvard sq.

unless I got this challenge backwards...hmmm.