Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=356090)

woodguy 10-12-2005 01:14 PM

Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #2 Flop

[ QUOTE ]
Since villain was getting 2:1, he could have a wide range. JJ-22, suited connectors, unsuited connectors, suited aces, medium aces are all possible depending on opponent.

My action depends on the opponent. If he is loose or over-agro, then I might check and trap. If he’s pretty solid and tight, I’ll just bet out.

Default play is to bet 425 here. If I’m reraised, then I’m not so happy, since I only see most making that play with QT, JJ if ahead, or AJ, KJ if behind, maybe also AK for tie. But top 2 with pot odds and some chances to improve means we’re probably going to get it all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with OmahaGreg

Regards,
Woodguy

Paul Thomson 10-12-2005 01:14 PM

Personally, I'm putting him on a middle pocket pair or AK. Since the stacks are deep, I think the villian would throw away weaker Aces and re-raise with AA-QQ maybe even JJ. But a call makes sense with a pocket pair because they're easy to play out of position and since both players have deep stacks, then it's worth the risk. If the villlan is loose, then maybe he'll call with a low suited connectors, but I doubt it if he knew the hero was Gigabet. Why would he want to play with fire?

I bet $300 into the pot because I don't mind if I get played with a little bit. I want it to look like a weak continuation bet and pray that the villian has AQ or AJ. The hand I'm afraid of that the villian could definilty have is JJ or AK. If the villian comes over the top and raises me 900, then I'll probably call. And call any bet on the turn. Or bet any turn card. I can't get away from this hand online. There are just too few spots to double up and this is one of them. The blinds increase quickly and even though the stacks are deep now, we're going to need the chips soon enough.

10-12-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why can’t he have AJ or KJ to make the raise? Why not another AK that doesn’t want to play a big pot out of position in the early stages?

Those hands are dealt at least as often as QT/JJ, and you have money in the middle already.

[/ QUOTE ]

With an UTG raise of 3x, he should assume that he could behind with AJ or KJ with at least a 30% to 50% probability (I haven't tallied the hands, so this is approx don't beat me up on this). I guess since the there is no prior info on the player that he could be loose enough to make this bet and it is a possibility (I never said he can't have these hands). I don't think I would risk my tourney on it until I got a better handle on how he's playing.

Firefly 10-12-2005 01:16 PM

BB has something like low sooted connectors, AT+, KJ+ maybe QT+, 22-JJ.
I bet 400 here. I like my hand and i hope my opponent does too.

K-mac 10-12-2005 01:25 PM

Note: Grunching

I would say that the BB could be calling with AK, AQ, AJ, KQ and maybe down to QJ. Also any pair from 10's down to 7's (maybe lower I am not too sure)
As far as a bet, i would bet t350 or so (i think that is a continuation bet, right?) If i get reraise i think i am pushing. I wouldnt mind a push because i am not sure that i can put AA or KK into the villians range as i suspect he would have reraised me. JJ may be a possibility, but again i think he may reraise with that as well.
At this point, i wouldnt mind getting all of my chips in if the turn doesnt pair the board or put a 10 or Q.

One thing that i am scared of is him calling the raise with Q 10 and flopping the straight.

How off am i here?

EverettKings 10-12-2005 01:31 PM

I absolutely HATE checking this. You raise to 300 from EP and check behind an AKJ flop? Duh, major red flags.

Obviously you have to bet, I vote for 425. He knows you usually hit this flop, but it's too drawlicious to give a free card. If you check he knows exactly where he stands and will only give action if you don't want it. Other top pair and two pair hands arent going away when you make your cont. bet, but if you check they will be flipping terrified.

It might be more interesting to check behind this flop if you raised with some garbage like 75 or J9. Hell, even then I don't really like checking.

So yeah, bet this.

---Everett

Edit: I forgot to answer the other questions.

His range, with such good pot odds, is all pairs and maybe some decent looking connectorish cards (T7s, 98o, etc) and AQ/AJ ish hands. Pretty wide.

If he reraises me on the flop I jam. Simple as that.

If he calls and the turn bricks I either check behind to extract another bet (maybe even a push) out of him on the river (and accept my fate when the T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] falls), or smooth call in the unlikely event that he leads. If a bad card (spade, T, Q, etc) turns I probably check behind and plan to call most river bets by him, since betting and getting raised in that spot would suck (and he is highly unlikely to give further action with a worse hand). And at that point another free card isn't as disastrous. I'm then betting/raising/pushing/whatever the river unless the board is horrendous.

schwza 10-12-2005 01:36 PM

here's my line:

i bet the flop for 400. if he raises, i call and jam the turn. if he calls the flop, i'm going to keep betting every street cause villain likely has some outs, and even if he doesn't a Q/T might kill my action.

10-12-2005 01:41 PM

A couple of things:

1) The pot size is wrong. If you raise 275, everyone folds including the 50chip sb and the bb calls, you have a 275+50+275=600 chip pot, not 650.

2) In ref to: [ QUOTE ]
The argument for checking can, however, be made. You are either way ahead, with villain drawing to 2-4 outs (AQ, AJ, QQ, TT)

[/ QUOTE ]
QQ and TT each have 6 outs, but you have redraws to beat each.

That said, I'd bet this flop almost always as the preflop raiser no matter what, if I had 27o-AA, unless I had been getting away with lots of continuation bets and think this person wants to check-raise me, then I might check-through and do a delayed continuation bet if I had missed this flop.

If I don't bet the flop when I hit a monster, I can't be believed when I bet the flop when I don't have anything.

My first instinct is: I'm betting this a little weak, because I'm not too concerned with being outdrawn or way behind here and I'd like to induce a move...Into a 600 chip pot, I'd bet 350 or so. That would leave me with 2670-275-350=2045 chips, Opponent with 2290 if he calls, and a 1300 chip pot if he calls. Even though I'm not going to get off this hand, it looks like I still could, and if he tries to push me off with a lesser hand, I welcome it. Unfortunately, this might not move a stubborn pair of QQ/TT or a QJ/JT off the pot, each of which have 6 outs (but we have redraws against). Unfortunately, if he does have a 6 outer and I am committed to this no matter what comes on the turn/river, the size of our stacks does make this a good call on his part, so I'm thinking I might bet more like 400 or 450 now.

Depending on the bb, I'd put him on a wider range: People who think he can't have KQ/QJ/JT/T9 here are crazy. Heads up, even out of position, with really great pot odds, you can't just toss all of those every time someone raises from early position. I'd be MORE inclined to play a hand like T9s than I would a trap hand like KQ/KJ, because I don't go busted if I flop top pair with T9 very often, whereas top pair w/KQ/KJ, you are in rough shape if you get action. That said, depending on the bb, I'd put him on a range of any real hand (some people feel the need to trap with AA/KK here, some people feel the need to see the flop before committing with QQ/JJ). I think those big pair hands are less likely than AQ/AJ/88 type hands because of the possibility of a reraise. My range now is any real hand - unlikely but possible are AA-QQ, slightly more likely JJ, even more likely 22-TT; Also any 2 broadway including QT, and suited connectors from JT-76, possibly JTo/J9o/T9o.

Dennis

AtticusFinch 10-12-2005 01:46 PM

Villain called a raise with odds from the BB, for a small fraction of his stack. His range is very wide.

On this flop, a check-raise looks like a bad idea. With all those paints out there, he's either getting his money in or he isn't, and I don't want to give him free cards to hit his gutshot.

I bet 2/3 of the pot. If he raises, I call and shove any turn. If he calls, I lead for 2/3 again on any turn except a Q or T. I'm honestly not sure how to handle one of those on the turn, although the way this hand is looking, it probably will be. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

albedoa 10-12-2005 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) The pot size is wrong. If you raise 275, everyone folds including the 50chip sb and the bb calls, you have a 275+50+275=600 chip pot, not 650.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch.