Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My first 600 SNGs, Need some real analysis (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=343452)

helpmeout 09-25-2005 11:17 AM

Re: My first 600 SNGs, Need some real analysis

Plenty of hands you can limp in these games that will allow you to gain a big stack when they hit.

helpmeout 09-25-2005 11:23 AM

It costs you 15 out of 800 to call with a chance to win a lot of chips.

Seems like you guys are a bunch of rocks in here.

Who do you think gets the money from the weakest players? Not the guy who sits back and waits for premiums thats for sure.

Freudian 09-25-2005 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Who do you think gets the money from the weakest players? Not the guy who sits back and waits for premiums thats for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to lose all 800 to cripple your stack. 200-300 lost in level 1-2 seriously limits what you can do later on.

And playing a lot of hands in level 1-2 means you will hit a lot of TPGK, MPTK, juicy draws etc. All of those hands have the potential to cripple your stack.

Anyone who is a winning player realize at what stage SnGs are decided and focus on staying in good shape by then. Sure, if you get amazing odds to limp with your KJs I don't mind it but someone who sees 15% of flops have to play a lot of hands where the risk is not worth it.

The original poster busts in place 8-10th over 20% of the tourneys he enters. For me it is less than half. I have a higher ITM and a higher ROI. For me it is obvious that playing more conservatively would help this player win more.

KingMedicine 09-25-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks fine. Your finish distribution decent but you bust out in 8-10th way too often. I play significantly tighter than you are in level 1-2.

[/ QUOTE ]

the first response sums it up.
fold more in the first couple levels and you'll raise youre ITM significantly.

jeffraider 09-25-2005 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do that, what do you usually post in HHs, cause obviously there's some selection bias? Do you pick ones you played well, terribly, average?

[/ QUOTE ]

Post ones you think you played well in. I mean, if you know a certain play is terrible then you don't need as much advice, but if you're making plays that you think are good but are actually leaks that's when having someone review an entire HH really pays off. I had no idea that I shouldn't be raising with ATs from MP1 until someone pointed it out to me, and I never would have asked/posted about it.

HighestCard 09-25-2005 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponent is aggressive/tricky, selectively push and reraise your opponents pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see what good re-raising pushes does heads up [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

pergesu 09-25-2005 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true if your opponents are all playing ridiculously tight early on. Then you use that against them and steal all kinds of pots early.

But when half of your opponents will cold call a raise with Q9s, your ability to pick up cheap pots early is drastically reduced, and you just end up bleeding chips.

The most fundamental element of beating low level SNGs is taking advantage of the huge errors your opponents make on the bubble. If your opponents play in such a way earlier on that allows you to get more ammo for the bubble, then that's fantastic. Otherwise you play very solid poker that gains chips when you're a big favorite and conserves chips when you're not.

Cactus Jack 09-26-2005 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true if your opponents are all playing ridiculously tight early on. Then you use that against them and steal all kinds of pots early.

But when half of your opponents will cold call a raise with Q9s, your ability to pick up cheap pots early is drastically reduced, and you just end up bleeding chips.

The most fundamental element of beating low level SNGs is taking advantage of the huge errors your opponents make on the bubble. If your opponents play in such a way earlier on that allows you to get more ammo for the bubble, then that's fantastic. Otherwise you play very solid poker that gains chips when you're a big favorite and conserves chips when you're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant

CJ

helpmeout 09-26-2005 08:41 AM

But what about joe fish who likes to play agro postflop and make dumb bluffs early on. This guy wont make it near the bubble most times and neither will his calling station buddies.

So when you can limp with a suited connector or a couple of high cards and make a big pair or better. These guys will pay off.

You can then use your larger stack to push players around and make EV calls against short stacks that you wouldnt normally make if you had less chips.

Why let your opponents collect these chips and use them against you later on?

A good postflop player will surely come out ahead much more often than not by playing a slightly looser game.

Slim Pickens 09-26-2005 11:54 AM

How to improve your play: You are only playing very slightly more hands than I would preflop early on. The difference is that you're raising a whole lot of them. It's probably a leak in my game to be limping ATs from MP1 but it would be a bigger one to raise it. There is something to be said for taking advantage of situations early while the idiots are still around to give away their chips with A4o, but that's also a much more difficult and subtle concept than is necessary for low-level SnG play. You are busting early way too much, and overplaying your good-but-not-powerhouse hands may be the reason.

Should you move up: Play whatever your bankroll allows. I don't believe the claim that a player will get 2x the ROI at the 11's he will at the 22's. My ROI is actually 5% higher at the 33's than it was at the 11's, and 10% higher than at the 22's. That's over 500 at each level, which really just goes to show you that even 500 isn't nearly large enough to start making conclusions.