Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   NYC delivery tipping question (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=340399)

IndieMatty 09-20-2005 12:56 AM

Re: NYC delivery tipping question

Apparently this bar had no mozzarella sticks.

nolanfan34 09-20-2005 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Followup question: Pitcher of Sierra or Stella is $17. Good sized pitcher. How much do you give the bartender?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me that's a typo, and you meant to say two gallon sized pitcher. Wow, that's pricey. I guess that's NY though?

Based on that price, I vote $20.

Voltron87 09-20-2005 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is it harder to pour a $17 pitcher than a $9 pitcher?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's not harder to serve a $100 meal than a $20 meal, but you still tip more.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sort of unrelated but at more upscale restaurants you don't tip a % of drinks.

09-20-2005 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's not harder to serve a $100 meal than a $20 meal, but you still tip more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but seriously, $3 tip for a pitcher of beer. That is excessive.

PoBoy321 09-20-2005 01:07 AM

Is a $15 tip on a meal excessive? Not if it's a $100. I also say that a $3 tip isn't excessive on a $17 pitcher. Granted, i think that a $17 pitcher is a bit much, but that's a whole other issue.

JAA 09-20-2005 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah but seriously, $3 tip for a pitcher of beer. That is excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If I get 2 or 3 beers, I typically tip $2. A pitcher is clearly worth $3.

- Jags

citanul 09-20-2005 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is sort of unrelated but at more upscale restaurants you don't tip a % of drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're ordering food and drinks, you tip % of the total, including the drinks.

if it's a place where you might go, and just order a bottle of wine or champagne or something like that, while sitting at a table for an hour, you tip a %. if you order drinks, and drinks alone, at anything resembling a bar, even if it's the waiting area at a $200 a head restaurant, and the drink is expensive, you tip some $/drink. you might want to tip more because of the niceness or the expense, but that's not standard from what i have seen.

citanul

citanul 09-20-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$20, although I usually just give a tip at the end of the night rather than drink by drink or pitcher by pitcher, etc., although that might be improper etiquette. Can I get a ruling?

[/ QUOTE ]

the problems here are several:

you might wind up with more than one bartender or waitress, and they might not pool tips.

if the bar is crowded, giving a good tip at the beginning will help you get attention from the bartender/waitress next time you want a drink. similarly, stiffing them will make them less happy to serve you.

citanul

citanul 09-20-2005 01:12 AM

50-55 for the food, depending on the bills handy and the promptness of the delivery. 20 for the beer. sadly that's just the way it is.

citanul

Clarkmeister 09-20-2005 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're ordering food and drinks, you tip % of the total, including the drinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard procedure at an upscale place where you are drinking wine is ~20% of the food portion and ~10% of the booze portion. I tend to do ~25% of the whole thing, but I wouldn't at all feel bad if I used the rule of thumb listed above.