Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Skilled nationalities? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=325362)

2ndGoat 08-31-2005 03:13 AM

Re: Skilled nationalities?

I can't believe no one has mentioned asians. EVERY asian that has EVER played poker is laggy. They also have a penchant for proclaiming "Button Move!" louder than is necessary.

2nd

fyodor 08-31-2005 11:07 AM

I had noticed this thread but never opened it. I assumed it would eventually just get locked. When I saw today it still wasn't I decided to take a look. What a pleasant surprise.

[ QUOTE ]
Possibly don't even know the hand rankings.

[/ QUOTE ]

was a great morning laugh. I also liked the Aussie characterization. Knowing where strips is from I now know where he's coming from. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

krishanleong 08-31-2005 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

New Zealanders - great players, each and every one. They're also devilishly handsome and generous and funny and modest

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN BROTHA

Krishan

Tailgunner 09-01-2005 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can't believe no one has mentioned asians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Asians are too inscrutable, I can't ever put 'em on a hand [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Americans for the most part (except for the beatniks who like to sit out commenting on every hand but never getting involved) like to trap and check-raise a lot to provoke weaker hands, at which point we can justifiably respond with hyper-aggression. This tactic works especially well if we can get a couple other players involved in the hand to blame if we should happen to lose. We'll then proceed to explain how the hand should have been played... for their own good, of course. The money we make is incidental (I know you believe that), but we'll keep it because they were obviously not advanced enough to use it wisely anyway.

Peace to the world [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

tomahawk 09-01-2005 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Brits - again, a big group, but perhaps slightly better than the average American since poker isn't as much of a cultural phenomenon .

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the most important determinant by far. A lot of americans that I play against seem to have their own home-made poker strategy that they have put together from tv-poker or what their father once told them as a boy about the game.

In contrast, most scandinavians I know who play poker (I'm from Norway), have no illusions about knowing the game when they start out. This makes them study hard and not blaming losses on bad luck, which IMO are two of the most important factors to being a winning player.

09-01-2005 11:32 AM

What's with all the negative posts about Aussies? I mean, isn't the current World Champion from down under (Aussie, Aussie, Aussi, Oy, Oy, Oy)?
None of you seem to mention the dominating Russian players (Sergei Federov, Pavel Bure, Nikolai Khabibulin....oops, wrong sport).
Why are there no great players from Bangladesh?
Are there any players from Kenya or Uganda?
I'm sure Native Americans have good poker faces.
Did I pay the cable bill?
Am I wearing out my welcome?

ALL1N 09-01-2005 02:27 PM

Haha you dorks.

My most profitable period is late afternoon when dumb Americans are getting tired and/or drunk. My playing sessions are based around the US drinking cycle. Pure and simple.

Cheers

Ricardido 09-01-2005 02:38 PM

Being english- i would like to say im hurt and upset at comments about us being crap at poker.

We are really crap.

dibbs 09-01-2005 03:11 PM

It seems people here back my long held feeling that players from the UK are for the most part absolutely terrible, some of the worst I have seen, any theories on why this is?

In my experience in SSNL swedes are pretty bad, apparently they are sicko agg at higher levels though.

09-01-2005 03:27 PM

i dont know why nobody mentioned vietnamese players, there are a ton of succesful ones - men/scotty nguyen, chau giang, mimi tran, tuan li, john pham, etc. many of those guys around