Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   The Real Life Important Point about Being Moral or Ethical. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=318885)

PairTheBoard 08-21-2005 03:33 AM

Re: The Real Life Important Point about Being Moral or Ethical.

[ QUOTE ]
siegfriedandroy --

Wow, pair the board. I am very confused by your last sentence, but i instantly recognize it as genius.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I cannot prove it I have consulted an Oracle and she assures me that your intuition agrees with the pattern formed by the knives she threw at me when I questioned her about it.

PairTheBoard

andyfox 08-21-2005 02:05 PM

Wow, 140,000 views

Falootin unbelievable.

spaminator101 08-21-2005 02:23 PM

Re: Wow, 140,000 views

yeh but only 21 replies

Piers 08-21-2005 07:47 PM

While what you say is not exactly false however you appear to be putting to much emphasis on logic.

Moral judgements are fundamentally an emotional reaction, not the result of logical deduction. A person knows what is right and wrong, if they have a semi axiomatic bases for their moral beliefs they might decide to use a line of argument to justify what their instincts know is true. The argument is not to deduce theorem from axioms, but to justify a what they know to be true from a belief system also know to be true. There is no reason for such an argument to be logical, and indeed it must not be if moral judgement does not follow logically from moral belief system. Human skill at self delusion are very useful in making the system work

If moral judgement is an irresistible force, and moral belief system an immovable object, clearly the argument that deduces one for the other is what gives. The use of technically illogical arguments here is often a form of defensive mechanism, and to force understanding of the illogic need not be of benefit to the individual.

Why mess with what works, just to impose one owns sense of logical purity.

Piers 08-21-2005 08:08 PM

I suspect a Sklanskian derrivertive of highfalutin.

John Cole 08-21-2005 08:59 PM

One time, a post of mine was dated sometime in December of 1969. Strange things afoot, Watson.

FlFishOn 08-21-2005 09:00 PM

140k Views!

Wow, did Drudge link to it?

malorum 08-21-2005 09:01 PM

Again I find myself agreeing with Piers.
One point tho'
[ QUOTE ]
Human skill at self delusion

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed but:
Can you use a nicer term? something that sounds less perjorative perhaps.

andyfox 08-21-2005 10:09 PM

True story: I once asked my son if he knew who had said, "Elementary, my dear Watson."

He guessed Jack Nicklaus.

Timer 08-22-2005 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As usual the problem is more likely that people are weak in math.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL