Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I suck at building pots, making money and poker in general (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=311536)

amoeba 08-09-2005 06:55 PM

Re: I suck at building pots, making money and poker in general

I like 2/3 pot, 1/2 pot, followed by a pot sized river bet.

08-09-2005 06:58 PM

well, you know I think you were dead on right with this particular flop.

I think also, that as a general discussion on how to play when you flop an unbeatable hand, this has turned out to be a very good discussion of the factors to consider. Lots of these posters have made really good points.

Anyway, it's a nice problem to have, trying to figure out how much of a guy's stack you're gonna get.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rsults post on this one, so don't let me down!

08-09-2005 06:59 PM

I think you have to think of building a pot like investing in the stock market or your 401k. Having read the "How old are you post" I realize this is entirely irrelevant to most of you, but you have to think of this as compound interest. Every street you bet is compound interest. If you bet the flop, you can bet even more on the turn, and then more on the river. Fine, bet small; bet half the pot each time. If They have nothing, they have nothing. By checking, checking, and then betting huge, you're giving away your hand anyway. But let the power of compounding work for you. Bet!

Edit: mpethybridge, I realize also from the "How old are you" post, that you're nearly dead, so surely you must understand the cocept of compound return! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

08-09-2005 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to think of building a pot like investing in the stock market or your 401k. Having read the "How old are you post" I realize this is entirely irrelevant to most of you, but you have to think of this as compound interest. Every street you bet is compound interest. If you bet the flop, you can bet even more on the turn, and then more on the river. Fine, bet small; bet half the pot each time. If They have nothing, they have nothing. By checking, checking, and then betting huge, you're giving away your hand anyway. But let the power of compounding work for you. Bet!

Edit: mpethybridge, I realize also from the "How old are you" post, that you're nearly dead, so surely you must understand the cocept of compound return! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Mostly dead is partly alive."
I understand compounding; I also know how to figure the compound interest on zero, which is what it would be when he leans on that guy in that hand too much.