Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Nasty NL book rumors (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=310592)

Nanook 08-11-2005 11:37 AM

Re: Nasty NL book rumors

OK, now that we know the nature of the book and an ETA, for those of us who have been playing limit poker almost exclusively and want to get into PL and NL, are there any other books we could get our noses into while we wait for Ed's book?

greatwhite 08-11-2005 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, now that we know the nature of the book and an ETA, for those of us who have been playing limit poker almost exclusively and want to get into PL and NL, are there any other books we could get our noses into while we wait for Ed's book?

[/ QUOTE ]I just got Ciaffone's book, Pot Limit and No Limit Poker and it is pretty good. TJ's book and How Good is Your Pot Limit Hold'em are the only other books I know with Pot Limit Hold'em. For No Limit Hold'em I would also read the Super System. I also agree that Harrington can teach you many concepts relative to cash games in his books though. One other book that might be helpful is Play Poker Like the Pros. I've only read the omaha sections when I was at the book store one time. Can anyone tell me if this section covers anything new?

Nanook 08-11-2005 04:35 PM

Thanks GW, I'll take a look at these. I actually have Harrington's books currently being shipped, so I will start with these. Some of the reviews of Cloutier's books consider him too tight, but I suppose that would not be a big problem when one is dipping a toe into the PL and NL water.

Thanks again for your input.

Nanook

Easy E 08-11-2005 04:40 PM

Such a tease....

Just a little Sklansky-esque bravado to whet your appetite.

You'd better back this up! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Niwa 08-11-2005 07:26 PM

I want that book so bad.

JohnG 08-11-2005 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for those of us who have been playing limit poker almost exclusively and want to get into PL and NL, are there any other books we could get our noses into while we wait for Ed's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ciaffone's 2 books are written from the perspective of a limit player wanting to learn PL and NL. Someone mentioned one of them. The other is improve your poker.

kagame 08-11-2005 08:14 PM

WTF

Ciaffones Big Bet book already did this

and its not for limit players, its a highly advanced guide to NL

the 2+2 book will blow in comparison guaranteed

that said, im buying it because itll be the second best thing available and im curious

kitaristi0 08-12-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful.

Alex/Mugaaz 08-12-2005 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF

Ciaffones Big Bet book already did this

and its not for limit players, its a highly advanced guide to NL

that said, im buying it because itll be the second best thing available and im curious

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that highly of Ciaffone's book? I really didn't think it was exceptional. I mean that in the sense of "Woah, I never thought of that". It's exceptional when compared to every other NL book (possible HOH1 exception), but it's not a user's manual.

greatwhite 08-12-2005 09:40 AM

Will this book cover pot limit theory too? I don't think it would be that much different.