Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Sinatra's My Way or Cash's Hurt (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=309714)

B Dids 08-07-2005 03:06 PM

Re: Sinatra\'s My Way or Cash\'s Hurt

Sinatra never did much for me. Cash's "Hurt" however, is a really powerful song. Mostly 'cause of the dying thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Paul Anka wrote "My Way" right? (I checked, I'm right).

B Dids 08-07-2005 03:08 PM

The thing is that to me, Cash takes a song that's kinda trite when NIN did it, and because Cash is just 1000x better at conveying emotion, it got good.

wacki 08-07-2005 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sinatra never did much for me. Cash's "Hurt" however, is a really powerful song.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this (partially). Sinatra was awesome when I was driving from Indiana to Mass. It fit the scenery very well. However, when I just listen to Sinatra by itself nothing happens. I listen to Cash's Hurt by itself (in room, nothing else going on) and I get a strong emotional charge out of it.

HopeydaFish 08-07-2005 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

This is interesting because in my opinion these might be the two best singers that can't sing. I'm partial to johnny Cash for sentimental reasons though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny that you say that. Whenever I've been out and there's been karaoke, the only songs I'll sing are Johnny Cash songs, precisely because I'm a horrible singer otherwise.

jakethebake 08-07-2005 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

This is interesting because in my opinion these might be the two best singers that can't sing. I'm partial to johnny Cash for sentimental reasons though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny that you say that. Whenever I've been out and there's been karaoke, the only songs I'll sing are Johnny Cash songs, precisely because I'm a horrible singer otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other option is to hold your nose and do Willie Nelson.

youtalkfunny 08-08-2005 01:29 AM

OK, I'm a HUUUUUUUGE Sinatra fan, so help me out here.

Please explain to me the differences between "Frank Sinatra" and "someone who knows how to sing".

Please be specific.

You've lumped him in with Cash and Dylan, two guys who speak more than they sing. Are you suggesting Sinatra does that?

If you are, then you must be familiar with no more than "NYNY" and "My Way", two songs he recorded later in life. I don't see how you can listen to Sinatra sing "The Lady is a Tramp", or "I Get a Kick Out of You", or "The Way You Look Tonight", and suggest that he doesn't know how to sing.

whiskeytown 08-08-2005 01:39 AM

I can relate to Johnny Cash so much better - that was an incredible song/video -

watching him pour wine onto the table, and his hand's shaking so bad he can barely do it - broke my heart -

RB

DavidC 08-08-2005 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

Leonard Cohen, Johnny Cash.

Were you thinking of someone else?

--Dave.

Oh man, if you were talking about Sinatra, you disappoint me: that man can SING!

rusellmj 08-08-2005 03:35 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Respondendo a:</font><hr />
I'm not sure what you mean by "pure". If you mean it sounded like it was unhampered by actually knowing how to sing, then I'll agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

This must be a very lonely club.

SackUp 08-08-2005 05:10 AM

i would rather kill myself than listen to Cash butcher Hurt!