Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Are Astrology Devotees SubHuman? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305486)

andyfox 08-02-2005 12:46 AM

Re: Are Astrology Devotees SubHuman?

"The Greeks for instance showed that there was a relationship between the diatonic scale and the number of planets in our solar system."

How can that relationship have been accurate, since the Greeks did not know the number of planets in our solar system (and there is disagreement today about the correct number)?

PairTheBoard 08-02-2005 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Greeks for instance showed that there was a relationship between the diatonic scale and the number of planets in our solar system.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are at least 9 planets in our solar system and only 8 notes in the diatonic scale.

What's the relation? What proof is there that if there is a relation, it's not casual?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pluto's not a planet. It's a SubPlanet, also known as an Imbecile Planet.

PairTheBoard

PairTheBoard 08-02-2005 01:29 AM

DS --
"If you believe in the tooth fairy you are not being illogical. "

Now you're talking DS.

PTB

Zeno 08-02-2005 01:44 AM

I read something recently about a Tenth planet, beyond pluto. And perhaps more planets are lurking about in the darkness awaiting discoverey by better and more accurate insturments or procedures.

-Zeno

Zeno 08-02-2005 01:48 AM

Been reading any P.G. Wodehouse?

-Zeno

FreakDaddy 08-02-2005 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The Greeks for instance showed that there was a relationship between the diatonic scale and the number of planets in our solar system.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are at least 9 planets in our solar system and only 8 notes in the diatonic scale.

What's the relation? What proof is there that if there is a relation, it's not casual?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse my mis-step, I meant there was a relationship between the diatonic scale and the distance of the planets. I've been half asleep today. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There should be tons of info on the web about this.

BZ_Zorro 08-02-2005 03:27 AM

Great post.

When people ask my star sign I always give them the wrong one. It's amusing to watch them make total fools of themselves analyzing my 'Leo' personality (I'm actually a libra - we're known to be tricky [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

PairTheBoard 08-02-2005 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Been reading any P.G. Wodehouse?

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

First I've heard of him. I googled to see what he's about. Sounds like a fun read but probably over my head. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PairTheBoard

mackthefork 08-02-2005 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To make it even more clear, if I had to choose between my son being an astrology believer all his life or a heroin addict all his life, I would choose the latter. (Anticipating your next question I would choose Catholicism over heroin for him, but not Born Again Christianity).

[/ QUOTE ]

Astrology is bad but not that bad, I would rather have a son who was a Astrology believer than a heroin addict, as for Catholics.......well heroin is bad but not that bad.

Mack

David Sklansky 08-02-2005 05:26 AM

"To show how strongly I feel about this subject I will say that I would never marry someone who fully believed in astrology regardless of the evidence."

"If evidence proved that astrology was correct, you still wouldn't marry someone? That seems a bit silly."

In case you are not joking, I meant that they believed in astrology regardless of the evidence aginst astrology.