Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A concept I don't understand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298046)

chief444 07-23-2005 07:25 PM

Re: A concept I don\'t understand

I'd value bet this...you likely have the best hand and the board isn't very coordinated. I don't mind a check though as long as you don't fold for one bet. I'd definitely bet if it were say a K64 rainbow board because the bet makes it tough for any two card combinations 8-Q to call. If I check/called I'd often lead a favorable turn card. The only time I'd check/fold for one is if the bet came from a very passive opponent.

The other thing is SB and BB would probably bet a T.

jrbick 07-23-2005 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But given that an overcard is very likely to come on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it coming more than 32% of the time? Someone correct me if that number is wrong ( 15 paint / 47 remaining = ~32%) (assuming that you mean "paint" when you say "over cards" (villain holds at least 1 and this will probably be less since more may be in play right now). So 60% of the time you see a safe T for your pair.

soweak. 07-23-2005 09:26 PM

You have to bet here to give the other players a chance to fold. Checking around here is horrible, because you will never know where everyone else is in the hand.

You will also have to decide, based on your opponent, if you should go to a showdown with them.

TylerK 07-23-2005 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking around here is horrible, because you will never know where everyone else is in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree that it's horrible if the flop checks through, but I don't think I agree with your reason.

Carmine 07-23-2005 10:16 PM

Anyone consider going for a check-raise on the flop assuming the table is at least aggresive enough to get a positional bet from button or a lead from bottom or middle pair

07-23-2005 10:30 PM

A flop bet here is good for many reasons:

The blinds haven't showed any strength...yet.

The texture of the flop is very favorable to your hand. It's not connected and probably hit no one.

Calling stations will call with just overcards, backdoor draws, middle or bottom pair and the other irrational junk.

This hand is easy to get away from if you receive any heat. So you actually minimize your reverse implied odds.

If you get called in 3 spots, you'll probably have to check fold the turn, unless you pick something up. 2 spots, you should lead the turn and check-call (you would love a free SD) the river if your still out of position and check behind if you do happen to buy the button.

It's good for table image if you get to show this down and indeed lose. Your opponents will call you down in future situations with weak hands.

Hope this helped.

oreogod 07-23-2005 11:01 PM

easy bet.

Why?

Glad u asked. You have better than second pair, two players checked to you, the pots small, some will at least fold improving your chances of winning this...its a clear value bet as is. So be a man, listen to some Tool and bet this baby.

Now say u get called in 2-3 spots. You can check/fold the turn (dont like this option) but depending on the card that comes I bet/fold the turn (my first choice for what I do on the turn). Especially if its the SB and BB that call u.

07-23-2005 11:08 PM

You would hate to be check-raising the flop with the worst hand here. Plus, when you do this, you scare off the fish and we don't reap their overcard, crappy draw calls, and the only hands that will call us down are ones that can beat 77.

You get a better price by betting out the flop and making the best decision you can at the turn.

Why check-raise, when a flop bet will tell us all we need to know?

callmedonnie 07-24-2005 02:02 PM

You bet because you may have the best hand. What's tough is that you probably won't fold the entire field behind you, and there are a lot of cards that can hit the turn and beat you. That is where reading the player is important.

If you get raised versus a tight player, folding may be optimum. You may hit a five, giving you an open ended to go with your two outs which could be very decptive.

The point is, you can't just bet TPTK. You have to be more active and aggressive in the pots you are in.

DcifrThs 07-24-2005 02:24 PM

the 6th player is what makes this bet closer than if there were only 2 players to act behind you. combined they have 4 cards, now there are 6 cards behind you and limpers often hit the J/T/Q. i think HERE is a check fold but if you take away a limper then you bet. you are ahead of the blinds here almost every time and you bet to fold out overs and get calls from 2nd pairs onthe flop who fear you may be bluffing.

if you are raised, you can fold.

now with 6 players, its much much closer b/c if those guys call to the river, you will very likely lose the hand. you want the hand to end there. with all 30vpipers and "donk"ey play, that probability of ending the hand there is small. that being said, i think this is a bet. its very close, but you should bet it. with 1 more limper you simply have to check and fold imo. maybe ed will jump in here but i dont think he has that much time as of late.

hope this helps.

-Barron