Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Should I even call his flop opener here? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288374)

bigt439 07-07-2005 08:52 PM

Re: Should I even call his flop opener here?

The limp is debatable in my opinion, but I mean that literally in that I think you can go either way. I personally fold because I think this hand has huge reverse implied odds, but you could make an argument for calling. In any case, nothing about his bet necessarily means you're beat, however I don't think you should be happy about it. What does everyone think about just calling this flop bet and using your position to play a hand. Now, this is an assupmtion, but I'd be willing to guess this guy got his chips because he likes to throw them around. That's usually how people double up in L1; by being goof balls. This makes the hand very difficult to play. I think the whole thing hinges on your hand history. If he got his chips in a reasonable way, maybe call the flop bet (or fold), and don't put another chip in the pot. This is a fairly drawless board, so if we're only letting him draw to his worse kicker when we're ahead that alright, and when we're behind we get a chance to catch up. If he fires on a turn blank (and a fair amount of cards are blank) then I think we can safely fold because he needs a decent hand to do this (maybe he's a yahoo, but we can't risk it). If the hand history indicates he's ridiculous you maybe can play it the way you did with the intention of getting all in. This is only if he got his chips by rivering trips with mid board pair or something like that (and yes that happens alot). Buyin would help. As it stands this is very read dependant. If you don't have one for some reason, fold. You still have alot of chips.

gildwulf 07-07-2005 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because at the levels I believe OP is playing at, people aren't having a worse hand than you here. BB is showing a helluva lot of strength here...

You're trying to get the money in with the best of it, and fold when you don't. I think calling to see the turn is best here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling is fine, maybe raising is slightly better but they are both good. All I'm saying is why are you raising 300 chips with TPTK if you aren't willing to go all-in...

lastchance 07-07-2005 08:58 PM

Hmm... Yeah. If you want to drop this, raise to t250... Pushing could work here...

Though I don't like any of those lines more than calling. At the very least, you'll be getting it in with the best of it more often...

adanthar 07-07-2005 09:03 PM

Folding preflop sucks (but your hand would be better if it was KJs, but still, folding preflop sucks.)

lastchance 07-07-2005 09:04 PM

What about flop play? Please tell us what you do on the flop and why... For donkish and non-donkish opponent. Please?

pergesu 07-07-2005 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because at the levels I believe OP is playing at, people aren't having a worse hand than you here. BB is showing a helluva lot of strength here...

You're trying to get the money in with the best of it, and fold when you don't. I think calling to see the turn is best here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do we even know what level this is? At the $33s and below, the opponent could easily be doing this is Q7, T9, JT...a ton of hands that OP beats.

I don't know what to do, this is kind of ugly. In the heat of battle, I'm sure I pop it...then groan and call the all-in. Probably looking at something like 96o, he just got a BB special. As long as he doesn't have a set, you've got outs. And the fact that a lot of opponents will make this kinda play with hands that you just murder is too much to discount.

adanthar 07-07-2005 09:23 PM

It's very important to know how he got those chips...if he got there by checking AK or AA or something I muck to the first bet.

Otherwise, seems like a way ahead/way behind, call off a lot of chips, etc. But I don't have a big problem with raise/calling at lower buyins since it's QJ so often.

J Chap 07-08-2005 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's very important to know how he got those chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a $22 - my bad.

Can't find hand history right now, but let's not be held back by that...

Scenario 1: Douche got his chips by throwing money around like a complete moron and getting lucky. [He's Bad/Loose/Aggressive]

S2: D got his C's by limping with a monster. [He's Sneaky/Tight/Passive]

S3: DGHC's by skillfully outplaying somebody with a good hand. [He's Competent/Tight/Aggressive]

Now schwhat?

lastchance 07-08-2005 01:23 AM

Meh, you're right. I dunno, I said "Believe," but 6 limpers pf sends off alarm bells.

adanthar 07-08-2005 03:13 AM

If it's S1 I very quickly raise and expect QJ to push. S2, I just fold. S3, I fold but type in 'let me see the 96 please?' to screw with him.