Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Good Books, Bad Books (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=286948)

benfranklin 07-06-2005 01:03 PM

Re: Good Books, Bad Books

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I only wish Yao had kept his original title. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

His original title wasn't "King"?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold'em Brain. Personally I thought it sucked, the new title is much more fitting for the topic:)

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if benfranklin was joking. But Ed and TT are referring to the fact that Mr. Yao's book title was Hold'em Brain and changed it. "King" is not a title; it's his actual name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to all for clearing that up. I did think that conferring the title of "King" upon publication of a first book was a bit of overkill, and that a more modest title like "Prince" would surely be sufficient until achieving best-seller status. After all, Ed Miller was only promoted from Major to NPA with his first book.

(I hope that the 2 or 3 forum readers who have a sense of humor and got the original joke were at least somewhat amused.)

Rob-L 07-06-2005 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Almost everyone I contacted about the old title said it sucked (or tried to say it in a nice way). Out of 40 people, Ed is now only the third person that liked it. The credit for the current title goes to Brian at the Gambler's Book Shop.

Ed, thanks for the nice comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in GBC a few weeks ago to get your book. Leo says "You know, Brian came up with the title for the book". I think Brain was too modest to say anything himself. Also, I wasn't completely positive they weren't goofing around, but now I know they weren't goofing on me!

It's a clever title.

Gallopin Gael 07-06-2005 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(I hope that the 2 or 3 forum readers who have a sense of humor and got the original joke were at least somewhat amused.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was, but I'm also working on about 3 hours of sleep so I am finding lots of things funny right now.

Voltron87 07-06-2005 03:28 PM

I was very underwhelmed by HOH 1 and 2. I put down vol 2 after 100 pages.

uuDevil 07-06-2005 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was very underwhelmed by HOH 1 and 2. I put down vol 2 after 100 pages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because you think there are better alternatives? If so, what are they and why do you think they are better?

Komodo 07-06-2005 03:43 PM

Is King yao about No limit or limit?

Voltron87 07-06-2005 03:46 PM

no, i dont think there are better alternatives. i also dont read every poker book that comes out, so i dont have a definitive knowledge on it. i also think HOH was badly designed from a binding/cover art/layout standpoint.

i read ken warrens texas holdem after seeing poker on tv, when i was a true beginner, and never really read anything else, except 2+2 stuff. i skimmed the NL part in supersystem 1 and ive read most of #2. but all in all apart from learning the utter utter basics from ken warren ive never really learned much from poker books.

edit- first line is better as "no, i don't know of anything better"

sammy_g 07-06-2005 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is King yao about No limit or limit?

[/ QUOTE ]
limit

TRWIII 07-06-2005 04:17 PM

You can pick up weighing the odds at holdemtight.com I believe (was there late last week).

TRWIII

pudley4 07-06-2005 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can pick up weighing the odds at holdemtight.com I believe (was there late last week).

TRWIII

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to post this.

I ordered it last Thursday, it was delivered yesterday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]