Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What is more important in a fight, 100+lbs of weight or skill? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=283490)

Lestat 06-30-2005 11:05 AM

Re: What is more important in a fight, 100+lbs of weight or skill?

Most fights (in real life) end up on the ground. Once you're on the pavement with a 300 pounder, it's not gonna matter how quick you are. So for most people, you'd you be right.

That said, someone highly skilled in hand to hand combat survival or martial arts still might have an edge. Even at 300 lbs. it's hard to maintain a fight on the ground without an adam's apple, an eye, or a snapped neck.

obsidian 06-30-2005 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Could a 15 yo boy beat a 300 lb man? Yes, if he is as skilled as Royce.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, 176lb Royce can beat the 300lb man. 100lb Royce would not be able to beat the man.

100lb boy would need a gun to beat the man.

outs

[/ QUOTE ]
Those were also trained fighters. I am pretty sure that a 100lb Royce could take out a 300lb guy if the guy was untrained. Of course Royce has also been training since he was a child so it is a little bit of an extreme case.

Alobar 06-30-2005 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most fights (in real life) end up on the ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

no they don't. Ive never seen a bar fight or a real life street fight end up on the ground. Its two amateurts wailing away with wild haymakers. The ones that end up on the ground are UFC type fights were the guys actually know what they are doing and stuff.

Bruce lee would knock the [censored] outta some 300 pound fat guy with no skill. I'd take skill over size any day.

Didn't anyone ever watch "Surf ninjas", sheesh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

MoreWineII 06-30-2005 11:15 AM

I'm not quite 200 lbs. Even though I'm not that skilled, I guarantee you there are some 300 lb. dudes out there I could kick the [censored] out of.

Inthacup 06-30-2005 11:21 AM

Royce Gracie vs. Akebono

http://www.roycegracie.tv/AkebonoVsRoyce.wmv

chaas4747 06-30-2005 11:21 AM

This conversation took place a couple of weeks ago when someone asked about training, and what they should learn to win a bar fight. I still contend that a person that is giving 100 pounds in a fight is at a huge disadvantage, even if the smaller person is well trained. That being said, I think there is a huge difference between someone 145 vs someone 245 to someone 200 vs 300. The 200 pound guy is more than likely built to take some abuse where the 145 guy just is not.
Bar fights are rarely about technique, more about aggression and who is more determined to win the fight. My vote is for the heavier guy in most scenarios, but there is always an exception to the rule.

mach3 06-30-2005 11:41 AM

I think a very skilled smaller fighter could beat a larger man, but that is a rare scenario. I have a friend whom I outweigh by about 60-70 pounds and have about 6 inches in height. He is VERY strong, stronger than me (we work out together), yet when we wrestle around, he never stands a chance. He has boxed and we've both dabbled in MA.

NorCalJosh 06-30-2005 11:56 AM

that video was great. i imagine thats pretty much how a fight like what the op is suggesting would go down. a 300 pound man is likely to only have brute strength on his side, and not very much in the way of speed. if anyone here HAS wrestled, they understand that a skinny wiry ass quick as lightning type dude is [censored] hard to keep down on the ground when he's all squirmy and [censored]. i'd say the 15 year old wins, if he's very highloy skilled and in the 125-150 pound range. i think anything lighter than that and he simply wouldnt have the strength to make any impact on the man.

youtalkfunny 06-30-2005 04:23 PM

I can't believe there's any debate on this one.

Sherman, set the wayback machine to 1980. I'm in high school. My six-year-old nephew, who recently started taking karate lessons, is over for a visit.

I get down on my knees, and assume a boxer's stance. "Come on, show me what they're teaching you in karate," I invited.

He was very eager to do so.

Before I knew what was happening, it was raining punches and kicks on me. I was very quickly in a ball, covering up, pleading for mercy.

That didn't convince anyone?

Sherman, set the Way-Back machine to 1988. I'm 21 years old. I'm 5'7", about 240 pounds, mostly fat, but I'm in much better physical shape than most fat guys, with surprising stamina and agility, but not speed.

I'm at work. It's coffee break time. Two co-workers are standing there, chatting. Sandy is about 6 inches shorter than me, older, and she can't possibly weigh more than 90 pounds. She is very excited about the brown belt she recently earned in Tae Kwon Do.

I, being a young know-it-all, scoffed at the notion of someone so puny being a brown belt. She just smiled, meekly (she was a very quiet girl). So I pushed it. I said, "What would you do if someone my size threw a punch at you..." and I lobbed a slow-motion right hook towards her jaw, with absolutely no intention of it ever coming close to her face.

In the blink of an eye, she was no longer standing there with her arms folded across her chest. I heard a very loud, "hee-YAAAH!" She had snapped her left arm up, blocking my right forearm with her left forearm. The trajectory of my punch was now deflected to more than a foot over her head. She caught me exactly half-way between the wrist and elbow, which I now realize is the spot where you would aim if you were trying to break one of those bones. I felt tremendous pain in my right forearm. The shock of it just plain froze me. And as I stood there, frozen, I noticed she had her right fist cocked by her ear, ready to take my head off if needed.

I thought she broke my arm.

I silently limped off, tail between my legs, holding my arm.

If you guys ever get a match between a trained boy and a guy off the street, please let me know ahead of time. I will lay odds on the boy.

Those who doubt me, suck cock by choice!

bottomset 06-30-2005 04:44 PM

they had a show on discovery where they measured the force behind a MA's kick, not sure how skilled the person was, but it was the same force as a car hitting you at 35MPH, or about the same as hitting the ground after jumping off a 6story building

granted thats a stationary target, but thats a pretty big hit

but I'm thinking most 15yrs aren't anywhere near that level, and would get stomped in the fight