Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Overcard challenge (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=281688)

brettbrettr 06-27-2005 09:26 PM

Re: Overcard challenge

Yup, agreed. Have to given the play thus far.

Guruman 06-27-2005 09:31 PM

how bout this:

folded to hero in sb with AK[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] BB is a LAG who likes to play big pots.

Hero raises, villain re-raises, hero caps, villain calls.

flop 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

hero bets...

Villain could have a wide range of blind re-stealing hands, and I'd put his probability of a pp at about 30-40% of the time. I'm probably in the lead here, and if not I have outs to draw to a better boat than villain would have.

I don't know if three-betting a raise on the flop here would be spewing, but I may have enough equity against this lag for it to be correct.

If villain calls then the turn is tricky because I don't exactly know which cards to fear. I may go into WA/WB mode for the rest of the hand.

Nate tha' Great 06-27-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I re-raised in an attempt to pick up the pot right now, or otherwise to slow down any overcards that BB may be playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we want to slow down overcards? Something goofy like KQ is drawing very thin against us and we're happy if it keeps putting money in the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, this would be an ok spot to sniff out a set or medium pp on the turn, since a call/checkraise or call/betraise line from BB probably would mean that I was beat and could safely fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can probably fold the turn if say we're check-raised, but at that point we've already invested 2 BB in the pot postflop and aren't getting to see a showdown (remember we can guarantee ourselves a showdown for at most 2.5 BB).

I prefer just calling this flop and usually just calling down.

Nate tha' Great 06-27-2005 09:33 PM

This is just a re-raise for value, plain and simple, not that it doesn't meet the criteria established in my original post.

Entity 06-27-2005 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise because I want to put pressure on T7s out of the BB or KT to fold. They aren't calling 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do we want T7s or KT to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they have either 10 or 7 outs but might fold incorrectly if they think they think they're drawing to a gutshot?

Rob

Nate tha' Great 06-27-2005 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise because I want to put pressure on T7s out of the BB or KT to fold. They aren't calling 2 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they have either 10 or 7 outs but might fold incorrectly if they think they think they're drawing to a gutshot?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care very much how many outs somebody has if I don't have the best hand. The parlay of my hand improving and theirs improving even further is too rare to worry about in most instances in hold 'em.

Entity 06-27-2005 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care very much how many outs somebody has if I don't have the best hand. The parlay of my hand improving and theirs improving even further is too rare to worry about in most instances in hold 'em.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think that you don't have the best hand (and in this example, you don't), and that you can't fold a better hand (and in this example, I don't think you can), then no, you shouldn't be raising. I didn't say I agree with the raise (I don't), but I was answering the question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guruman 06-27-2005 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I re-raised in an attempt to pick up the pot right now, or otherwise to slow down any overcards that BB may be playing because I'm an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP

Entity 06-27-2005 09:40 PM

I should note that the times I raise with overcards are generally when I feel it's very likely that someone is leading into me with a draw (especially with a draw that they'll have a hard time 3-betting) or when I feel they're sufficiently passive that they'll allow me to see the river for an extra .5SB with my marginal 6-outer.

Rob

Entity 06-27-2005 09:44 PM

Here's an example. BB is loose and likes to bet out with both draws and weak made hands. He's a bit on the passive side if you fight back. He's capable of folding when it's fairly clear he's beaten.

CO posts a blind. Folded to him, he checks, I raise black KQo. SB folds. BB calls. CO calls. Three to the flop for 6.5SB.

The flop is 257r. BB bets. CO folds. I raise, planning on checking behind on any non-ace, non-king, non-queen, and betting any of those.

Rob