Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Worst 3rd card in Pineapple (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280265)

James Boston 06-25-2005 10:13 PM

Re: Worst 3rd card in Pineapple

[ QUOTE ]
I realized if the flop comes high so that no low is possible it's better to have the 8 so you can discard the 2 and still have a flush draw with a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. If you make an ace high flush, your kicker is irrelevant, and this is CP, not stud...you can't have 2 ace high flushes in play. Plus, you've got one less card in the deck to make your flush.

A_C_Slater 06-25-2005 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realized if the flop comes high so that no low is possible it's better to have the 8 so you can discard the 2 and still have a flush draw with a better kicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's only one A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. If you make an ace high flush, your kicker is irrelevant, and this is CP, not stud...you can't have 2 ace high flushes in play. Plus, you've got one less card in the deck to make your flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to keep it for that reason. I want to keep in in case the flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

So you still have a flush draw, but with a higher kicker as you would discard the 2 and your ace low is counterfeited into top pair.

Are you gonna explain the hand rankings to me now? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

James Boston 06-25-2005 10:45 PM

Sorry. But you did say "flush draw with a better kicker" instead of, "flush draw and a better kicker," implying that the kicker went with the flush draw. It's a semantic arguement now, and I just misunderstood what you said.

senjitsu 06-26-2005 12:30 AM

And that would come into play when your opponent had an ace, and two cards below an 8 with it, elected to continue playing with tpnk in the face of numerous straight and flush possibilities _and_ neither the turn or river brought a 9,T,J,Q,K, or A (which is to say, more than half the deck negates your kicker in the case you keep the 8)...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to keep it for that reason. I want to keep in in case the flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

So you still have a flush draw, but with a higher kicker as you would discard the 2 and your ace low is counterfeited into top pair.

Are you gonna explain the hand rankings to me now? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

M.B.E. 06-26-2005 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That won't happen often enough to be of significance. Much more often you will get a flop like Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], where your EV will be higher if your third card (which you discard) is the 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] rather than the 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

M.B.E. 06-26-2005 11:17 AM

Another starting hand question

Rank the following starting hands in Crazy Pineapple 8/b from best to worst:

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I don't think the preflop action should affect the rankings, but if it does, then assume you are on the button and two players have limped already.

Clarkmeister 06-26-2005 01:22 PM

I have no clue what the right answer is. I posted it because it was debated at our table Friday night. For the record, I think the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is the preferable card. The 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is just such a key card for the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] portion of our hand, one of 6 cards that we really really want to see on the flop. Plus, the 9 kicker is superior to the 8 kicker and 9's are better than 8's. OTOH, the made 8-low is better far more often than many here are giving credit for in this game. It's not Omaha and 2-card lows are rarer than one thinks, especially on something like a 236 board where not only A2 and A3 are killed, but the 234, 235 types of hands are killed also.

I just think the potential for the 8s to appear on the board is too valuable to want the card in our hand, but I could easily be wrong.

Clarkmeister 06-26-2005 01:30 PM

Re: Another starting hand question

[ QUOTE ]
Rank the following starting hands in Crazy Pineapple 8/b from best to worst:

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
5. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
6. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
7. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
8. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

That's the order I'd go with. For today, anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

M.B.E. 06-26-2005 02:18 PM

Interesting; I would have placed AA9 at the top of that list.

Also I'd tend to think that A2K is better than A23.

Clarkmeister 06-26-2005 02:42 PM

Remember, you are talking to a man who currently has a strategy of playing his top 93% of hands.