Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A draw in a big pot...56s... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=278702)

ihardlyknowher 06-23-2005 08:26 PM

Re: compare a 3bet to coldcall...some discussion...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not likely you are facing a superior hand at this point

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, jacky brought this up also, while my chances to improve may make my hand "superior" isolating myself against a "made" hands such as AK isn't great since they have position and can extract the max while i am drawing (although its not that big a deal cuz of my super draw) but i don't have the ability to punish them when i hit my draw, especially a flush becuase i am out of position and may whiff i try and c/r...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think AK (or the like) is going to cap if you 3-bet, so you are most likely getting 3 callers on your flop 3-bet. If you miss and all 15 outs are still clean, you still have an equity edge. Plus you could pick up another 5 outs by pairing on the turn. And hitting a straight and being able to c/r after the 3-bet, trapping everyone again, would be the coolest thing ever.

Grease 06-23-2005 08:28 PM

Re: A draw in a big pot...56s...

Eh, PF is marginal, the fact that the PFR is a LAG really doesn't matter, because one of these callers has you beaten. You have sufficient overlay to play, I call here.

Flop, easy check/3-bet for an obscene amount of value. The only hangup is the CO calling 2 cold. You can't like that. Despite that, I would still 3-bet here.

thirddan 06-23-2005 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only hangup is the CO calling 2 cold. You can't like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this isn't great, but the pot is sooo big and he is getting about 8-1 depending on further action that there are a lot of hands that he should call two bets with that i am drawing totally live against...

jjacky 06-23-2005 08:33 PM

no, i think a check raise (or check 3-bet in this case) is fine.

my points were just the following:
- the risk that you get isolated by a superior hand is close to zero, even if you bet out.
- IF you decide to bet out and get isolated it is important to 3 bet
i prefer the checkraise because i want as many callers as possible and a c/r accomlishes that while a bet does not.

thirddan 06-23-2005 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IF you decide to bet out and get isolated it is important to 3 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

can you explain this? hopefully i don't seem like im trying to justify a bad play or being a dick, but i would like to see why you think a 3bet is best here (when its now HU and im OOP)...do you think that a hand like AK/AQ isn't gonna showdown?

what is the plan when i 3bet and blank on the turn?

thanks

ihardlyknowher 06-23-2005 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you think that a hand like AK/AQ isn't gonna showdown?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think AK/AQ is capping if you 3-bet?

[ QUOTE ]
what is the plan when i 3bet and blank on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

If everybody calls you still have an equity edge - c/r.

thirddan 06-23-2005 08:50 PM

sorry, i should have clarified...

these questions are assuming that i had led the flop, PRF raised, everyone folds, and now the action is back to me...

jacky says to 3bet, i am interested in why?

ihardlyknowher 06-23-2005 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry, i should have clarified...

these questions are assuming that i had led the flop, PRF raised, everyone folds, and now the action is back to me...

jacky says to 3bet, i am interested in why?

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. Yeah, that would be a sh*tty position. Yet another reason why the flop c/r is great.

ijwaef 06-23-2005 08:56 PM

you are the greatest poker mind in the apartment i live in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Entity 06-23-2005 08:57 PM

I'd fold preflop. I don't mind check-3betting the flop but I don't mind check-calling intending to c/r a favorable turn either.