Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Are there any truly perfect synonyms? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=271940)

tbach24 06-13-2005 02:49 PM

Re: Are there any truly perfect synonyms?

Wicked sweet = freakin' awesome

jakethebake 06-13-2005 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mountain lion is a general term that can include bobcats, but really, they're not the same. Bobcats have short, stubby tails and ear tuffs, mountainn lions have long tails, shorter hair and are much bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard anyone say mountain lion when he means bobcat. They don't look anything alike. They're not even remotely close. Maybe some jackass somewhere came up with some goofy category called mountain lions that includes bobcats. But anyone that knows what the hell they are would never say they're the same, and would never call a bobcat a kind of mountain lion.

scotty34 06-13-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gigantic - humongous

[/ QUOTE ]

Very close, I think. Gigantic can also be used particularly in reference to a giant, so they don't quite match.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. Give me a sentence where gigantic refers to a giant, where humongous can't be perfectly substituted.

This one seems a little less likely, but tiny - miniscule.

scotty34 06-13-2005 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mountain lion is a general term that can include bobcats, but really, they're not the same. Bobcats have short, stubby tails and ear tuffs, mountainn lions have long tails, shorter hair and are much bigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard anyone say mountain lion when he means bobcat. They don't look anything alike. They're not even remotely close. Maybe some jackass somewhere came up with some goofy category called mountain lions that includes bobcats. But anyone that knows what the hell they are would never say they're the same, and would never call a bobcat a kind of mountain lion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mountain Lion = Cougar not Bobcat

tbach24 06-13-2005 02:54 PM

Definition 1

It looks like tiny-miniscule works though

toss 06-13-2005 02:55 PM

How about Jam and Marmalade?

jcmack13 06-13-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Humongous and enormous, perhaps?

EDIT: I checked and there's an archaic definition of enormous as "Very wicked; heinous." Not sure if that really eliminates it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel there's a slight connotation difference. You wouldn't say, "Of course, the ethical issues this raises are humongous" or, "the flight suffered humongous complications."

Flammable and inflammable are the best example given here, in that you can always replace one with the other.

toss 06-13-2005 02:58 PM

I also think enormous can be used to describe quantity whilst humungous can't.

tbach24 06-13-2005 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

while?

I know he meant to type whilst, but are these perfect synonyms?

Senor Cardgage 06-13-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gigantic - humongous

[/ QUOTE ]

Very close, I think. Gigantic can also be used particularly in reference to a giant, so they don't quite match.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I understand. Give me a sentence where gigantic refers to a giant, where humongous can't be perfectly substituted.

This one seems a little less likely, but tiny - miniscule.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can mean "relating to a giant", so I assume it can be used in some other way... I'm kind of hung over right now so I'm not much help.It would be a really awkward usage, anyways- something along the lines of relating some noun to a giant without a specific reference to size. It's kind of a nitpick and assuming this is correct, it's nothing that would come up in any everyday conversation.