Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Becoming a pro (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=261910)

tripdad 05-30-2005 05:54 PM

Re: Becoming a pro

[ QUOTE ]
could you elaborate a little bit on becoming an internet billionaire?

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

i will tell you all my billionare secrets for a mere $119.85. you can pay me in monthly installments of $39.95. but wait! if you PM me within 15 minutes of this post, i will throw in a set of razor sharp knives at no additional cost! this is a value of $20, absolutely free!

this is a risk free offer. if you are unsatisfied for any reason, you may return the package of secrets to me within 1 business day of receiving. you cannot keep the knives free of charge, though...you must send those back as well, and pay your own shipping.

cheers!

edit: forgot to mention...if you keep the package, and don't pay me the 2 additional installments, i will kill you and your family. have a great day! don't wait! order now!

BoxLiquid 05-30-2005 06:42 PM

Poker is boring. I'd rather get a nice degree and sit at work doing nothing for 50k+ a year. And also, poker is one of the hardest things in the world. Greg raymer played for like what? 12 years before he got to where he is now.

michiganfan9 05-30-2005 06:54 PM

I am kinda like mikeh to. I'm only 15 but I play cards a lot. I am gettin pretty good to. Reading any material and taking all of your advice here to heart. I have seen strides of improvement and right now I feel like i'm playing the best I ever have. Obviously i'm no where near the professionals because of my lack of experience but I would love to play poker when I grow older. I don't know if I want to become a pro because i have a huge passion for stocks and have managed my own and parents portfolio since 6th grade and have been extremely successful.

michiganfan9 05-30-2005 06:56 PM

I have kinda planned on going to college getting a really good job but playing poker on the side. Possibly playing in some bigger tournaments and seeing where they take me.

TStoneMBD 05-30-2005 07:00 PM

yes this is a good plan. if you were smart enough to manage a portfolio at such a young age then you are smart enough to beat poker and smart enough to avoid playing poker professionally. instead, you are smart enough to go out and build wealth through means of something other than a zero-sum game. or in poker's case, a negative-sum game.

michiganfan9 05-30-2005 07:00 PM

I think it would be smarter to have a great retirement savings then when you retire you can play a lot more but still play part time when you have a full time job.

michiganfan9 05-30-2005 07:06 PM

Anybody got some advice that I can tell my parents to let me open up a poker acccount online. I'm 15 years old and I don't think they will let me. I want to just put in like $20 and play in .25-.50 blinds and stuff. Some rooms you can play .05-.1 blinds. Got any advice?

BoxLiquid 05-30-2005 08:12 PM

People that play poker for a living like Phil Helmuth and Phil Ivey are exceptionally good because they love what they do. In an interview I read, Ivey said "I love everything about poker". He obviously has a passion for the game and folding hands over and over and receiving bad beats every once in a while really doesn't affect him. If you love poker... (not like) but really love it then yes, you should go for it. But, you're only 15. Something besides cards might come along and spark your interest a few years from now so I wouldn't fail middle school because of some current national craze.

EStreet20 05-30-2005 09:01 PM

response to michiganfan

No offense MichiganFan but honestly 15 is way too young, especially because with a 20 dollar deposit you'll lose it all eventually. Not taking a shot at you but that's severely underbankrolled for any of the limits you describe. Then, if you go back to mom and dad for a reload they'll think you have a gambling problem. It's a lose/lose situation. Good luck in the future though.

Take care,
Matt

bpb 05-30-2005 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody got some advice that I can tell my parents to let me open up a poker acccount online. I'm 15 years old and I don't think they will let me. I want to just put in like $20 and play in .25-.50 blinds and stuff. Some rooms you can play .05-.1 blinds. Got any advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to your parents.

They are smarter than you.