Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   NYC poker raid? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=260094)

Roswell 05-27-2005 09:03 AM

Re: NYC poker raid?

[ QUOTE ]
Did they make logs of the chips that each player had? I would assume it will be impossible to recover the lost funds. That sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they were pretty clear that we should leave the chips on the table and not touch them or bring them with us. I assume my money is gone.

Some guys in the 5/10 NL had $5000+ on the table.

karitek 05-27-2005 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What concerns me is described in the article, the police's possession of all computers, and therefore the identification of the players who attend the games. Does anyone from back in the Mayfair/Diamond Club days know if there were any resulting IRS complications for the players?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never understood why they kept so many records on their players anyhow. you think they'd want to keep it all untraceable, and anonymous.

Sorry for all involved.

Derek in NYC 05-27-2005 09:07 AM

Players do not violate NY law by playing.

karitek 05-27-2005 09:09 AM

But still, there are various tax issues, and it's probably not the best thing to leak out about people. I'm sure there are some employers, etc that would frown on illegal gambling.

Roswell 05-27-2005 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, my understanding is that it is not illegal to "place a wager."

At the playstation only one player got arrested, and that was because he didn't have ID.

Luv2DriveTT 05-27-2005 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an attorney, however this is the only section that pertains to players : ( another link)

S 240.35 Loitering.

A person is guilty of loitering when he:
2. Loiters or remains in a public place for the purpose of gambling
with cards, dice or other gambling paraphernalia;
Loitering is a violation

[[Substantial doubt about the constitutionality of Sec. 240.35(2) was expressed in People v. Melton, 578 N.Y.S.2d 377, 152 Misc.2d 649 (N.Y.Sup., 1991) on the basis that mere gambling as a player is not a crime in New York, and thus the attempt to criminalize the gathering for the purpose of gambling is improper. To the same effect, see also People v. Davidson, 696 N.Y.S.2d 640 (N.Y.Sup., 1999)]]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

tylerdurden 05-27-2005 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One player who didn't have ID got arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what???

TakeMeToTheRiver 05-27-2005 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not an attorney, however this is the only section that pertains to players : ( another link)

S 240.35 Loitering.

A person is guilty of loitering when he:
2. Loiters or remains in a public place for the purpose of gambling
with cards, dice or other gambling paraphernalia;
Loitering is a violation

[[Substantial doubt about the constitutionality of Sec. 240.35(2) was expressed in People v. Melton, 578 N.Y.S.2d 377, 152 Misc.2d 649 (N.Y.Sup., 1991) on the basis that mere gambling as a player is not a crime in New York, and thus the attempt to criminalize the gathering for the purpose of gambling is improper. To the same effect, see also People v. Davidson, 696 N.Y.S.2d 640 (N.Y.Sup., 1999)]]

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you play one on 2+2... the next week (and more) should be very interesting for NY poker... it looks like I am going to have get off my ass and start traveling to NJ and CT.

Evan 05-27-2005 09:39 AM

I am surprised it took this long to happen. Nice while it lasted.

karitek 05-27-2005 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One player who didn't have ID got arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what???

[/ QUOTE ]

It's illegal not to carry ID.