Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My book: Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244943)

Re: My book: Weighing the Odds in Hold\'em Poker

Now that I know it is the same book, I can definately recommend this book. For the record, I met King through this forum and only helped him with the first draft of this book because I thought his content was very fresh and original. Based on the number of pages and the new chapters in the final version, it is clear that King added a lot more content to his original draft.

When reading the initial draft, it is clear that the author is a very experienced and winning limit player (imho, anyone who can win at the 10/20 limit and above usually have something meaningful to teach) because of the thought process he goes through with each decision.

Often a borderline decision is not a simple call, fold or raise based just on pot odds and position but "Why?" based on the given variables in each situation. That is why I enjoy MLH, HEFAP and Real Poker II..b/c those books focus on the thought processes more than simply reading the board and calculating outs.

What also sets this book apart from most of the other limit hold'em books (and I have just about every major hold'em book there is) is that King combines both math and game theory to his decision making process.

I have studied game theory during my graduate degree and always wanted to see someone apply game theory to hold'em and this is one of the few books that is successful at doing it (HPFAP is, of course, another).

Based on the initial manuscript I saw, I would say this book is geared more for intermediate/advanced players and may not be suitable for total beginners.

Unlike some other poker books in the current poker book craze, this is not just another 'beginner' book with generic and restated ideas... I really believe that this book is really original and geared for more experienced players.

I know that King put in a lot of work in this book and without holding anything back. This book is definately worth checking out. I look forward to getting reading it soon.

King Yao 05-04-2005 12:09 AM

Thanks skp. I didn't want to mess around with you either!

cwsiggy 05-04-2005 02:15 AM

This looks really good. Just ordered it from amazon.

maurile 05-04-2005 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A sample chapter can be found at this link - Chapter 15: The River

[/ QUOTE ]
I read this chapter last night and was very impressed. If all the chapters are this good, it will be a fantastic book. I am ordering it from Amazon today.

The actual advice given in chapter 15 will not be earth-shattering to very good players, but it is stuff that a lot of decent players get wrong. Moreover, the book doesn't just state its advice in conclusory fashion (i.e., check-call heads up on the river when first to act against a player who was probably on either a flush draw or a straight draw when only the straight draw comes in), but also backs everything up with sample EV calculations. This is helpful not only to give readers confidence that the conclusions are correct, but more importantly to get readers in the habit of thinking about each decision rigorously, and to teach them how to do it.

I am eager to read the rest of the book.

Chiron 05-04-2005 02:38 PM

Looking forward to purchasing this! Nice work.

Fiddler 05-04-2005 02:42 PM

I also liked the sample chapter and have ordered a copy.

popniklas 05-04-2005 04:18 PM

Seems like a very good book. I'm ordering it from Amazon.

MCS 05-04-2005 04:25 PM

"Usually ships within 3 to 5 weeks from Amazon.com." [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

felson 05-04-2005 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Usually ships within 3 to 5 weeks from Amazon.com." [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ordered yesterday and my copy is already being shipped. They must be temporarily out of stock.

PE101 05-04-2005 06:57 PM

And also...

[ QUOTE ]
I contacted Mat Sklansky previously to make sure this type of post was appropriate for 2+2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to think of it, it was pretty classy that 2+2 agreed to let you do this.

Nice going Mat, et al.