Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Daniel Negreanu is now 1st a businessman, 2nd a poker player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=243692)

Simplistic 05-02-2005 01:00 PM

Re: Daniel Negreanu is now 1st a businessman, 2nd a poker player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does it say when the top players in the world are looking to generate income away from the table?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. What does it say? What does it say when Tiger Woods tries to generate income away from the golf course? What does it say when Michael Jordan tries to generate income awsy from the court? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a guy as preposterously rich as Michael Jordan lets Nike pay him for his name but sets no conditions, so Nike happily employs Indonesian children at near-starvation wages? It says a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there. In fact Nike's pay was above the average wage there. I don't think you can give any reasons why Nike should pay an artificially high price.

SmileyEH 05-02-2005 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You would do the same in his shoes.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

That rationale is used for anything up to and including murder.

I don't buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing to buy. The man is just doing whatever he wants to to make a living.

-SmileyEH

pipster 05-02-2005 04:12 PM

I would say the comparison between Daniel and Tiger Woods is very valid. Tiger only gets paid if he plays, and he is directly paid based on performance. He has no golf contract (though many endorsement contracts) which pays him regardless of how good or bad he does. I believe that if Tiger failed to make the cut in a golf tournament he gets paid nothing, similiar to how Daniel would get paid nothing if he didn't make it past the bubble in a poker tourney.

Now luck plays a MUCH lower role in the case of Golf vs Poker (as evidenced by Tiger's 100's of cuts made in a row). However luck does have swings in the results very often in both poker and golf. And Tiger is taking his money where he can, just like Daniel.

otnemem 05-02-2005 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be so naive as to believe this can you? I hate "lol" but I am literally laughing so hard that you're seriously suggesting that sweat shop wages in Indonesia aren't so bad, because, well, why else would people work there? Maybe because they're poor Indonesions who are easily exploitable due to a lack of options. YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS DRIVEL! HOLY [censored]!

otnemem 05-02-2005 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People don't go on talk shows just to hang out, they go to PROMOTE something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, but they're not being interviewed under the guise that they have no relationship with the products they're promoting. If it was made clear that Daniel has a business interest in all of these products, then it's what it is - a DN advertisement. But if he's acting like he just genuinely enjoys these products for no other reason but that they're good products, this might be deceptive...

Lawrence Ng 05-02-2005 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When a guy as preposterously rich as Michael Jordan lets Nike pay him for his name but sets no conditions, so Nike happily employs Indonesian children at near-starvation wages? It says a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad..but so true..

Lawrence

Lawrence Ng 05-02-2005 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

lol. What does it say? What does it say when Tiger Woods tries to generate income away from the golf course? What does it say when Michael Jordan tries to generate income awsy from the court? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't see Gretzky selling out do you? Now he is a true ambassador for the sport and love of a game he is super passionate about.

Lawrence

edtost 05-02-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it seems to be that you have little concept of how capitalism and a free market approach works. if the wages being paid for Nike were so atrociously bad, people wouldn't work there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be so naive as to believe this can you? I hate "lol" but I am literally laughing so hard that you're seriously suggesting that sweat shop wages in Indonesia aren't so bad, because, well, why else would people work there? Maybe because they're poor Indonesions who are easily exploitable due to a lack of options. YOU CANNOT HONESTLY BELIEVE THIS DRIVEL! HOLY [censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying is: they're better off with the sweat shops than without them because they have no other options, but the sweat shops are bad anyway, because they don't treat their workers as well as US employers are forced to?

SpearsBritney 05-02-2005 07:42 PM

I also saw this "call-in" interview, and it was quite obvious that the "callers" were all part of Daniel's shameless self-promotion. But hey, we're all here to make money.

Guthrie 05-02-2005 09:41 PM

Yes, this is what happens.