Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Thinking of moving from ring games to SNG, what is a safe bankroll? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=236536)

hummusx 04-21-2005 08:45 AM

Re: Thinking of moving from ring games to SNG, what is a safe bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It must get discouraging losing 4-5 in a row. It seems like you invest so much time, only for nothing, when you're booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 or 5 in a row? If my worst streak every day was 4-5 in a row I'm whistling a happy tune.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real trick is to keep starting them up so that you lose track of whether you are winning or losing. Oh yeah, you have to ignore the 'current balance' on the popup screen to confirm your entry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

zambonidrivr 04-21-2005 04:41 PM

Re: Thinking of moving from ring games to SNG, what is a safe bankroll?

my guess is that anyone named zimbuthemonkey really needs professional help in areas other than poker

valenzuela 04-21-2005 04:45 PM

try 14 games on a row. If u play long enough you will suffer a bad streak like that.

Voltron87 04-21-2005 04:57 PM

Re: Thinking of moving from ring games to SNG, what is a safe bankroll?

[ QUOTE ]
my guess is that anyone named zimbuthemonkey really needs professional help in areas other than poker

[/ QUOTE ]

this wouldn't be funny if your username wasn't "zambonidrivr" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Blarg 04-21-2005 05:39 PM

I'd say take the most conservative post you find and double it.

Most posts assume both that you will not hit extraordinary bouts of bad luck and that you are already a proven winning player. Most beginners are probably not winning players yet, and haven't had time to prove anything. And extraordinary bad luck -- yep, that can hit beginners too.

Worse yet, even ordinary bad luck can start them changing their game in weird ways and playing worse.

Take most of the bankroll and financial advice you see in 2+2 forums as advice appropriate to proven winning players. Just because someone who is beating the game finds a X sized bankroll adequate doesn't mean everyone else will. The adequate size bankroll for a losing player is infinite. Draw your line somewhere between infinity and what you see recommended here. Doubling what the most conservative posters here recommend would probably be a decent ballpark figure.

Route246 04-21-2005 07:39 PM

Very good advice, especially about the bad streaks.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say take the most conservative post you find and double it.

Most posts assume both that you will not hit extraordinary bouts of bad luck and that you are already a proven winning player. Most beginners are probably not winning players yet, and haven't had time to prove anything. And extraordinary bad luck -- yep, that can hit beginners too.

Worse yet, even ordinary bad luck can start them changing their game in weird ways and playing worse.

Take most of the bankroll and financial advice you see in 2+2 forums as advice appropriate to proven winning players. Just because someone who is beating the game finds a X sized bankroll adequate doesn't mean everyone else will. The adequate size bankroll for a losing player is infinite. Draw your line somewhere between infinity and what you see recommended here. Doubling what the most conservative posters here recommend would probably be a decent ballpark figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

KingDan 04-21-2005 07:46 PM

While four tabling the 20s, at one point I ran on -18 Buyin loss streak. I now I have it beat, just not enough of a sample size to accurately give ROI.
I'm trying to think what this is, in terms of a BB swing. Can someone ballpark it?

yoadrians 04-21-2005 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just tried a 20+2... got busted two off the money, I was shortstacked and had to pull a move, unfortunately it was at a wrong time...

EDIT: It must get discouraging losing 4-5 in a row. It seems like you invest so much time, only for nothing, when you're booted out.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I read in a post about SNGs here a few months back has really, really helped me. It went something like this, and I apologize to the person who wrote it for not giving them their due credit ... this didn't come from me, but, again, it really helps:

Don't look at one single SNG as a victory or defeat. Rather, look at all the SNGs you play as kind of an ongoing thing, and take a look at the number a couple of hundred in.

You missed out two from the money in one SNG? I'd be more interested in if you made the right play when you busted out.

Again, don't let the single result of one or two SNGs get you down ... or up, for that matter. Just keep good records on how you are doing over time, and let us know a few months from now how things are going.

Good luck, my man.

Slim Pickens 04-21-2005 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Again, don't let the single result of one or two <font color="red"> thousand </font> SNGs get you down ... or up, for that matter. Just keep good records on how you are doing over time, and let us know a few months from now how things are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Slim

yoadrians 04-21-2005 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Again, don't let the single result of one or two <font color="red"> thousand </font> SNGs get you down ... or up, for that matter. Just keep good records on how you are doing over time, and let us know a few months from now how things are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Slim

[/ QUOTE ]

Well-put Slim. Only meant he needs to keep his eyes on the longterm prize and not get bent out of shape by a game here or there.

But your response is better.