Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Teachers ARE overpaid and lazy.... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=211528)

Dr. Strangelove 03-11-2005 11:43 PM

Re: Teachers ARE overpaid and lazy....

Wow, you really deserve the flaming you are getting.

chabibi 03-12-2005 01:44 AM

I don’t know how things are in the states but the statement zaxx made is pretty true for Ontario. Take for example my high school calc teacher, he taught 3 classes per semester (which is the maximum work load a teacher can have in Ontario) with one prep period a day and 3 hours of mandatory extracurricular activities a week. That equals 28 hours a week of actual work for less than 8 months a year. As far as marking goes, he had 75 students per semester and had 7 tests and 1 exam per student to mark. That means he only had 600 papers a semester to mark since he never collected homework or assignments and was given 1 hour and fifteen minuets of paid time a day to do his marking. For all his hard work he got paid like 75 grand a year plus a great benefits package and an even better pension plan and he had unlimited job security as long as he didn’t hit or molest a student. In fact after high school I was considering on becoming a teacher for those reasons. Of course I reconsidered since im to greedy and care to much about money to settle for an 80k a year job, even if it is a very laid back job

Ill never forget what my school rugby coach once told me. During a workout we got on the subject of teaching and asked him how he liked teaching as opposed to his old job in sales, which he had quit two years earlier to become a high school teacher. He said teaching was the greatest and easiest job he had ever had and loved having his summers free. I asked him why then do all my teachers bitch so much about how hard their jobs are. His reply was “simple they’ve never had real jobs before”

chabibi 03-12-2005 01:56 AM

Average salary includes all teacher including 1st and 2nd year teachers who no doubt make much less than teachers with 10 years experience, of course 30k to 40k a year for someone right out of school isn’t a terrible salary. My brother is graduating this year and already has a job as an auditor with a top 5 accounting firm and will be making >50k a year and I can guarantee he will be working many many more hours than any elementary or high school teacher you can find

thatpfunk 03-12-2005 02:01 AM

there are more older teachers than 1 &2 year ones. you are an ignoratn fool

wacki 03-12-2005 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Avg salary for teachers in the US is $45k (2003)

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd, that's more than my sister makes and she's a doctor. It makes it pretty difficult to pay off the $250,000 medical school bill.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TransientR 03-12-2005 02:27 AM

Chabibi wrote:

"Of course I reconsidered since im to greedy and care to much about money to settle for an 80k a year job, even if it is a very laid back job"

Glad you don't teach English, Chabibi. Do you see why?

Frank

Dead 03-12-2005 02:36 AM

Because his grammar is awful?

chabibi 03-12-2005 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are more older teachers than 1 &2 year ones. you are an ignoratn fool

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting the salaries of new teachers doesn’t not affect the over all average salary of all teachers? Maybe you should consider retaking that grade 12 stats class again

In Ontario, a teacher with six years of education starts at 42k a year and caps at 73k after 11 years, union negotiations ensured that any teacher that has more than 11 years experience earns the maximum salary regardless of performance or what subject is taught. Therefore if the average salary for all teachers is say 50k it is only because of the influence of the salaries of new teachers that brings the average down, since all experienced teachers make 73k/year

source

chabibi 03-12-2005 02:48 AM

i know i cant write for [censored], i dont need you to tell me that
thats why im a math major [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

can you believe my english teachers got paid 80 grand a year, and you guys dont think they are overpaid [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

TransientR 03-12-2005 02:54 AM

I would think struggling to improve your writing skills would justify paying your teachers more than 80K a year [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Frank