Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Are you sure about ROI (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=182768)

ilya 01-24-2005 01:45 PM

Re: Are you sure about ROI [bit ot]

[ QUOTE ]

2. 40% is sustainable at lower limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be (though only at the $10s, I'd guess), but I've never heard of anyone with this ROI and a big enough sample size at this level. "Well, of course not", you say, "people who are soundly beating the low limits tend to move up quickly." Yes, but the fact remains that since none of them stuck around at the $10s/$20s long enough, their ROIs are suspect.

ilya 01-24-2005 01:48 PM

Re: Are you sure about ROI

[ QUOTE ]
I've read some of the threads about ROI...and I found it hard to believe that the best player at Party $215's is only making $36 profit per tourney. What do you think is a reasonable Finished in Money %? I really don't see how 50% could be un-achievable, especially given that just by chance you should get 33%. So shouldn't the best players be able to get there?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about Party, the average ITM is 30%, not 33%.

rwanger 01-24-2005 01:56 PM

Oops. It is 30%. My bad.

I understand what you mean about winning the hands you are supposed to win, and that not seeming like "good luck". It does seem to me though, that even at the $109's, you can play fairly tight, and really only need to double up once to have a very reasonable shot at the money. I'm not talking about a AK vs QQ situation either, as you can often get something much better.

Am I wrong to think that you can usually avoid risking your whole stack (except in very favorable situations) until there are only 5 or so players left?

The once and future king 01-24-2005 02:09 PM

40% ITM.

Grivan 01-24-2005 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I wrong to think that you can usually avoid risking your whole stack (except in very favorable situations) until there are only 5 or so players left?

[/ QUOTE ]

How favorable of a situation are we talking about? 60/40? Okay, you win that 60% of the time now you probably have 1500 chips (it takes awhile to get into this situations and blinds eat you). Now 10% of the time you are not able to get into this situation at all with a meanful chip size assume. Now to get to your 40% in the money you need to money just about EVERY time you double up early, which just isn't going to happen. It generally takes winning 2 good pots to get into the money, or having a bunch of steals succed.

Benholio 01-24-2005 04:06 PM

Just think about it a little bit. You are coming to a forum full of posters who play anywhere from 50 to 1000 sngs a WEEK. The active posters of this forum have probably amassed over a million recorded sngs at various levels. We aren't guessing, or using hunches or random theories to come up with these numbers.

The best thing you can do as a new sng player visiting this forum, is to be a sponge for a few weeks.

ilya 01-24-2005 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
40% ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, sorry. Yes, I agree...I think 40% ITM is sustainable at the $10s and $20s at the very least.