Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   I think wearing dark glasses while playing poker is bullshit (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=168759)

grandgnu 12-31-2004 10:04 PM

Re: Sunglasses for tourneys, but not cash games

I tend to wear dark glasses only when I'm in a tourney, and not a cash game. Then again, mine are prescription, so people can see my eyes a little behind the glasses.

Usually in a big hand, where I've made a big bet or have moved all-in, I'll just close my eyes (but peek at my opponent to watch his actions) and try to prevent giving anything away.

I prefer no sunglasses at the table, although I feel that while I'm getting better at picking up others tells, I still need to make sure I learn all of mine and eliminate them before I'm ready to go sans-sunglasses.

DonButtons 01-01-2005 12:43 AM

Re: Sunglasses for tourneys, but not cash games

I weared them for like 15 minutes once and stopped after I misread the flop and lost a big pot.

sonataarctica 01-01-2005 01:50 AM

Re: I think wearing dark glasses while playing poker is bullshit

im pretty sure i got your witty sense of humor but just incase...
[ QUOTE ]
seeing your opponents face

[/ QUOTE ]
do you want to ban online play too?

jedi 01-01-2005 08:05 AM

I don't normally wear sunglasses, unless I'm in a big NL tourney or cash game, but I don't wear it to mask my tells, I do it so that the other person doesn't know when I'm studying him when I'm out of a hand.

oddjob 01-01-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People with sunglasses don't bother me one bit. It's their choice to wear them, and since I don't think it changes the game in a measurable way, I could care less.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this completely. who cares if they wear sunglasses. my thoughts are if you're playing at a level where someone can get something from your eyes, then you should be good enough to not give anything away with your eyes.

but if someone chooses to, i usually just make smart ass comments like "i'd call you, but i can't tell what you have cause you got those sunglasses on"

Slacker13 01-01-2005 06:07 PM

So this was your first post? Way to come out of the gate strong.

tylerdurden 01-03-2005 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they help with an intimidation factor, because people seem more distant and menacing when you can't see their eyes (that's the same reason that cops always wear sunglasses).

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be a side benefit, but it's not the reason. Cops wear dark sunglasses so they don't have to adjust their eyes so much when going from bright outdoors into a dark indoor area. It can be the difference between life and death.

Wabby 01-03-2005 11:33 PM

I played Phil Laak in a backgammon tournament about 5 years ago.

There were no non-smoking room, so he was wearing his hood AND A GASMASK !

Not that many tells to give away in backgammon, but I´m sure in poker you can tell a lot from listening to someone breathing through that gas mask filter :-)

Wabby

Sponger15SB 01-04-2005 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raymer looks nothing like a Jackass

[/ QUOTE ]

naw, he just looks like a huge dork with those glasses