Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Kerry won... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=144977)

CORed 11-04-2004 08:28 PM

Re: Kerry won...

The popular vote does not determine who is president. The electoral college does. Whether you like this system or not, that is the reality. Had Kerry won by a narrow margin in a few more of the close states, he could easily have won the election while losing the popular vote.

AleoMagus 11-04-2004 08:33 PM

Of course I know this. I'm just saying that as far as any kind of morally defensible fight for electoral college votes goes, it's a lot easier to do it with a popular win than with a 3.5M pop. vote loss.

Regards
Brad S

CORed 11-04-2004 08:33 PM

As I said before, I think that punchcards should be phased out. However, I think the voter has to bear some of the responsibility for making sure he votes correctly, regardless of whether he is using paper, puchcards, or electronic machines. I don't believe that punching holes in a punchcard is so complicated that somebody of normal (or even somewhat subnormal) intelligence can't do it correctly, so I guess I'm not as bothered by the spoiled ballots as some people.

Jedi Flopper 11-04-2004 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incoclusive ballots are considered such because they are not punched properly. This occurs most in minority areas where voting machines are out of date.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are kidding me right? I live in an affluent area and voted on punch cards. When I was done, I carefully checked it to make sure there were no "hanging chads" Any fool who did not do this after 2000 does not deserve to have their vote counted.

Cooker 11-05-2004 01:11 AM

I think it is ridiculous to suggest that in a state where the vote was fairly even, the error in the counting will magically favor the candidate you want to win by a huge margin. No counting system will ever be perfect, so in that sense, I am not bothered by small errors in vote counting. Bush clearly won Ohio with a margin that is above pure counting errors. Most of the "uncounted" ballots truly should not be counted, because they are either not legal votes (in the case of the provisional ballots) or they were incorrectly punched, which is more the fault of the voter than any one else. Would I object to improvements? Of course not, but I think it is quite clear that the vote in Ohio clearly favored Bush.

Of the incorrectly punched ballots, which are really the only ones that could possibly be a systematic problem with the election, Kerry would still be behind if he was given 100% of those votes. Do you know what a provisional ballot is? It is what they give you when you do not appear to be properly registered, but let you vote just in case they made a mistake. Do you know how many turn out to be good votes? Less than 7% on average in past elections. If you give Kerry all the incorrectly punched ballots and all 7% of the likely good provisional ballots, he still would lose.

I like how you just assume that I am a Bush supporter. I did not vote for Bush, because I disagree with many of his policies. I simply responded to an obviously flawed article with a clear line of reasoning. I think it is you that fail to understand many more things about this situation than I.

Abednego 11-05-2004 01:56 AM

Kerry lost

Abednego 11-05-2004 01:57 AM

Somethings are just too easy

wacki 11-05-2004 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can never understand this...

If Democrats have higher IQ's than Republicans, why are they so bad at voting properly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahah.... good post.

wacki 11-05-2004 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know why conservatives reserve all their hate for Michael Moore. This Greg Palast guy is much worse. Michael Moore as least has sources for Farenheit 911. You may not like his sources, but he has them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Max Power, I know you are an intelligent person capable of understanding complex ideas. However, this statement has made me lose alot, if not all, respect for you.

http://www.fahrenhype911.com/

wacki 11-05-2004 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it troubling that some people found it more constructive to tell me to shut up and to quit being a sore loser than recognize the fact hundreds of thousands of Americans are, in many cases, not getting the representation to which they are entitled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it more troubling that we have voter fraud at all. No ID required to vote? WTF?!?!? If you don't have the ability to aquire identification, you shouldn't be able to vote. ...........
[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]