Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   An idea (ATTN: Bison) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=132947)

Piiop 10-06-2004 06:56 PM

Re: An idea (ATTN: Bison)

I think only allowing certain posters to use it is a bad idea. Like CDC said, it would create a converter club and possibly exclude a lot of good posters. Also, some hands may be interesting/helpful to one person but not very interesting/helpful to others. People who post here are at many different levels of the game and everyone is trying to learn. Excluding posters from using such a valuable tool would be unfair.

I do agree that it sucks that posts get buried so quickly, but I'm not sure stopping the converter is a good solution. I think the problem comes from so many new members more than it does from the ease of posting by way of converter. I don't think anything can be done about so many new members.

cab4656 10-06-2004 07:01 PM

People simply need to stop posting trivial hands involving common situations.

I am not a great player. However, I play quite often (Not nearly as often as some people, but still very frequently). I play sessions of a few hours of four tables. Over three hours, I might scribble down three or four (at most!) hand numbers where something didn't seem right. Upon reviewing the hands in PT after the session, I probably realize what the correct play was about 90% of the time. The rest I will post here.

I really don't see why there are so many questions about fairly easy decisions on here. Use the search function if you really don't know what do you when your unimproved AK gets check-raised on a paired board on the turn.

Chris Daddy Cool 10-06-2004 07:02 PM

i think its unfair to bison to ask him and put all the pressure on him to kill his own creation.

i'm sure bison, though he probably won't admit to it, is pretty proud of his hand converter and how it makes pretty hand histories and how it has eased the eyes of many using this forum. putting the blame on *crappy-ness* of this forum on the hand converter is the wrong approach.

the real problem is the wave of new posters. with 2+2 growing as it is, it'll be impossible to not have 20 posts per hour or whatever. people will post what they want to post. and by not using the converter its just going to make the posts a lot harder to read and ever so more annoying.

sluttysteve 10-06-2004 07:03 PM

My opinion is probably worth crap, but could some of you older guys let us know what exactly entails a good post? I realize very straightforward bet-call-call-bet-call-fold hands are not what people are looking for, but beyond that I'm lost. Should I say anything about the hand in the subject, or have a nonsensical one? Should I post my own comments on the hand, or only post the history itself? Answers for these would be helpful, and make new kids like myself and many others a lot less intimidated.

Flame away.

Piiop 10-06-2004 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is probably worth crap, but could some of you older guys let us know what exactly entails a good post? I realize very straightforward bet-call-call-bet-call-fold hands are not what people are looking for, but beyond that I'm lost. Should I say anything about the hand in the subject, or have a nonsensical one? Should I post my own comments on the hand, or only post the history itself? Answers for these would be helpful, and make new kids like myself and many others a lot less intimidated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Posts like unimproved overcard hands (Unimproved overcard hands are tough, but there are about 1,000 of these posts a day. ), bad beat stories in disguise, folded but would've won, hands where there's no other way to play it (like checked to you every round with TPTK and you bet but lose), flopped a monster did I make enough - to name a few.

The topic of the post isn't a big deal (not to me, anyway). I usually just say what the hand was, but some cool kids make up amusing titles.

Posting all the info and your thinking behind your play is the way to go. Sometimes you don't have any reads and that's fine. But by posting your thought process, you can also make sure you're thinking right as well as played the hand right.

As a possible solution to this problem - maybe someone could make a sticky post for the forum and have it be a "Guidline For Posting in the Small Stakes Hold'Em Forum".

sfer 10-06-2004 07:11 PM

The converter isn't the issue. We're just flooding responses into the wrong hands, like the weekly "Did I get the most flopped quads/boat/nut flush," the daily, "Should I love up/How hard is 5/10" and others. We can police it ourselves by bumping the interesting posts with the truly marginal situations and hard decisions. Regardless, I'm pretty pleased that so many newbies are coming here. We clearly have the solid advice thing going on.

sublime 10-06-2004 07:13 PM

i think its unfair to bison to ask him and put all the pressure on him to kill his own creation.

I asked for one week [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But I do understand what you are saying. I apologize to Bison if my post seems unfair.

cnfuzzd 10-06-2004 07:15 PM

i too have been troubled by the volume lately on the forum. However, i dont think the convertor is the root of the problem. I think the fact of the matter is thatwe have several new posters, and those people are also new poker players. So, a lot of the posts that you typically see in the micros forum, we are instead seeing here. I dont think this is a bad thing, just inconvienent.

2+2 is a wonderfull resource that is made even better by the fact that it is a free and open forum, with a minimum of moderation. Part of the price we pay for that freedom is not only the occasional annoyance when sthief lets us know that his pfr is now 67%, but also the responsability to make it better. Not only does this include helping the newer posters out (which i am admittadly terrible about), but also means that we have to go the extra mile looking for those posts that are of more interest, or made by the more experienced posters. I devote a certain segment of each poker session to at least reading the subject line of every new post, and usually read all the posts made by those whose posts i know are likely to be thought provoking (or make fun of someone).

Joe Tall, i guess i was one of the few who did see the mentioned post when it was made. I didnt respond because i didnt feel i had much to add. It seemed a reasonable way to play, and nothing about the thread made me question my initial assessment.

Killing the convertor is likely to cut down on the volume, however i think it would also lower the quality of the posts, and 2+2 in general. since fewer people would be willing to post hand. As someone who used to post about 5 hands a day, or so, i can honestly say without the convertor i would probably not be the highly skilled LAG i am today. This is also why i think making the convertor pw-protected is also bad. The convertor helps those who are just starting out, and usually those newbies are the ones most in need of the convertor. Plus, i dont think i would be one of those allowed to use it. Thats bad.

To sum, i think its probably jsut something we are going to have to live with. Yeah, it sucks finding your post 4 pages back a few hours after you posted it, but its still there. Bump appropriatly.

peace

john nickle

i do however, disapprove of 1800 posts made under the name of rap songs. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

chesspain 10-06-2004 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize to Bison if my post seems unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfair--maybe?
Elitist--definately!

Rubeskies 10-06-2004 07:21 PM

My solution to this problem is to create two small stakes forums.

One for 2/4, and one for 3/6 and 5/10. This will allow posts to stay up at the top for longer and solve the traffic problem.

It will also allow people to more easily understand the small differences between 2/4 and 3/6.

What do you guys think?