Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Am I Going to Burn in Hell? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=132474)

joker122 10-05-2004 10:10 PM

Re: Am I Going to Burn in Hell?

[ QUOTE ]
But David, I have guessed wrong about your state of mind before. Before I try to respond to an imaginary argument, why don't you spell it out for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't understand why
When Jesus died on the cross, he forgave all your sins. All you have to do is admit you're a sinner and accept this free forgiveness. Thats it. Seriously. You don't have to stop playing poker or stop eating your friends food or even stop having sex with a girl you know has a boyfriend.
It's not my place to judge where you will spend your eternity. God will do that.

*good deal, huh?

is vomit inducing you are either delusional or dense.

Sundevils21 10-05-2004 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? God wants you to play against dengenerate gamblers and take their mortgage money? Kids college fund? Next weeks grocery money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't feel that way about any of the things you mentioned. Do you? Do you feel bad when you win a pot against somebody? You just caused his wife to leave him you know.

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in knowing why god would want you to make other peoples life miserable, not that you don't do it in a million other ways everyday anyways, but do you seriously beleive that this is gods calling for you or is your beleif what allows you to sleep at night knowing that some poor schmuck is out a bundle because of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

first off I don't think I'm making other peoples lives miserable. I know that God has called me to do this for a living. Everything in my life fell into place once I decided to put God first in my life. I prayed over what I should do.
My wife and I both worked(we had to in order to make ends meet). My mother would watch my two boys while we worked. Suddenly my parents moved out of town and I lost my job(in the same week). So now I can't even afford to pay my bills and feed my family. I'd been playing poker for a while and making pretty good money at it. The Lord told me to keep playing and not worry about the bills. So I did. Things just fall into place when you put God first.

[ QUOTE ]
Your beleif in god allows you to live the "sinful" life you lead. It gives you a higher being to explain everything and absolve you of your guilt, wrong doings, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do lead a sinful life. So does everyone who walks the earth. None of us are without sin. Jesus offered forgiveness when he died on the cross for all of our sins. So I accept this forgiveness. He does absolve me of my guilt and shame.
I try my best to follow the example JC set for me. I stumble and fall, but I get up and try to do better next time. I try my absolute best not to be sinful.
Well, thats my life. Even though you didn't ask for all that, sorry.

joker122 10-05-2004 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But why wait until 2 min before you're about to die? why not do it now so that you don't have to worry about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? That makes no sense at all. Why would I stop living a life of selfishness, hedonism etc now when I can just do it 1 moment before my death and get the same benefits of a person who's led a life of sacrifice, selflessness etc all along?

Sundevils21 10-05-2004 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But why wait until 2 min before you're about to die? why not do it now so that you don't have to worry about it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? That makes no sense at all. Why would I stop living a life of selfishness, hedonism etc now when I can just do it 1 moment before my death and get the same benefits of a person who's led a life of sacrifice, selflessness etc all along?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am serious. You need to read a little closer. I didn't say(or does the Bible) that you have to stop living the way you are right now.
I would still choose the life of sacrifice and selflessness, even if the end result was the same. I'm not the only one either. If I was, how could you explain all the people who are selfless yet don't believe in God at all?

felson 10-05-2004 10:21 PM

I don't understand why you want to state such an insulting opinion. I have tried to keep these threads fairly civilized. And so, even if I believed the same about you, I would not say so. To each his own, I guess.

Sundevils21 10-05-2004 10:29 PM

*as a side note-
I'm sure that some of you will stop taking me seriously as a poster because of my views on life/God. I think that is really pathetic. So because I believe in the Bible, does that mean when I say to raise or fold I shouldn't be taken seriously? I guess time will tell. I still respect those who insult me and try to give me grief over my beliefs. I use this board primarily for poker even though most of my posts as of late have been about God(similiar to what felson said). Time will tell...

joker122 10-05-2004 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am serious. You need to read a little closer. I didn't say(or does the Bible) that you have to stop living the way you are right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked why wait until the last moment of your life to ask for forgiveness, implying that one should do so now.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was, how could you explain all the people who are selfless yet don't believe in God at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are people who have morals based on ethics. There is a rationality behind thier morals. The rationality behind your choice to live a life of selflessness is to what, please god? To emulate Christ? These are irrational.

edit - let's not start that argument.

joker122 10-05-2004 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you want to state such an insulting opinion. I have tried to keep these threads fairly civilized

[/ QUOTE ]

Honesty is more civilized than sycophancy.

felson 10-05-2004 10:45 PM

You are in error if you believe that sycophancy and honesty are the only two alternatives.

Did you see that? I was polite. And I told you that you were wrong, without being insulting.

felson 10-05-2004 10:49 PM

The first paragraph of my previous post was poorly phrased. I am sorry. Please let me rephrase it as:

"You are in error if you believe that being polite requires you to be a sycophant or dishonest."

I stand by the second paragraph of that post.