Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Who was the worst player at the WSOP final table (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=131355)

Paul Phillips 10-03-2004 04:40 PM

Re: Who was the worst player at the WSOP final table

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I guess my question would be, if you were that sure, would you have called with 88, or 22?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. To be consistent I should say yes, at least for some distance down the ladder; JJ vs. AK might seem an acceptable advantage where 22 vs. AK did not. In real life I don't know, but if I could suck it up to call with JJ I'm sure I could do it with a few more pairs.

sdplayerb 10-03-2004 04:42 PM

Do you think people go all-in too easily on reraises with AK where stack sizes don't warrant it, thus making it obvious to read, as you did (since no way he makes that raise with AA, KK and probably not QQ).
So would a better play be reraising the same as you would with AA/KK?
If he had made it 12-15K, what would your play be? Obviously that could be tough to answer since you would have to read a different situation that is tough to try to relive, but still interested.

MLG 10-03-2004 04:57 PM

I could start spewing insults if it would make you more comfortable. I'm just generally uncomfortable with your assertion that he would either move-in or fold with the hands you listed. There is at least some chance (and not a small one either in my opinion) that your opponent will call with hands like 99, 1010, JJ, AQ, AJ, as well as a lot of others. I don't think you can really narrow down before you make the decision which hands he will play which way after you raise (because honestly, I don't necessarily think your opponent will have decided).

DimensionPresident 10-03-2004 05:04 PM

Personally if I put someone on two high cards, I will almost always take the risk of going all in with a pair. Especially if I am already in the money and have a chance to build up my chips for a win. Only difference with JJ vs 22 to me is taking away two more outs on a straight possibility against AK.

donny5k 10-03-2004 05:11 PM

I'm sure you can see into their soul and determine they can't have a pair.

Paul Phillips 10-03-2004 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My general criticism of Murphy and Dean lies in the fact they both had approximately 2.5 million or so, stacks that were healthy enough to play smart with and make a run for the title, let alone the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your goal is the title you can't fold a 57% advantage on purpose. You can if your goal is money though.

The JJ vs. AK situation I described was quite different from the dean vs. murphy one. In mine we were down to 15% of the field; they were down to one half of one percent of the field. The gap concept rears its ugly head with a lot more force when you are VERY deep and have a leading stack.

[ QUOTE ]
Here is the kicker: You've been gradually acquiring chips and picking up pots and chipping away much the same way Greg Raymer has, so should trends continue you could potentially get many chips over a longer period of time by continuing your playing style and not having to risk this much on a 57% edge. Does this change your thought process?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone overestimates their ability to accumulate chips at low risk. All the players think they can do this, but it's a zero-sum game so a lot of them must be wrong -- in fact more than half of them might be wrong because the ability to do this isn't spread equitably.

It's partly the selective memory fallacy again. EVERYONE wins lots of small pots. You follow that up by losing a big one and it feels like you really got the short end of the stick: "gee, here I was cruising along winning all these low-risk small pots and now I foolishly got involved in a big pot and lost it all back." How do you know that you're so much better at accumulating chips via small low-risk pots than your opponents are? They all somehow made it to the final 13 out of 2600 just like you did.

[ QUOTE ]
Should you fold with a 57% edge for all your chips when you have a huge stack and have been consistently accumulating chips with less risk?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your only goal is to win, unlikely. Because of proportional payouts, sometimes. And "consistently accumulating chips with less risk" is usually an illusion.

Ulysses 10-03-2004 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Williams and Arieh removed any doubt about their abilities by both finishing in the top 3 in Connecticut.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they didn't.

DimensionPresident 10-03-2004 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you can see into their soul and determine they can't have a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. Just like I can look into your soul and see the remnants of a failed comedian.

donny5k 10-03-2004 05:25 PM

I was actually being serious, it's easy to read someone for AK when they have 88/99. They don't want to see a flop but like their hand.

DimensionPresident 10-03-2004 05:30 PM

Uh, yeah. Or they can have 6/2 os and are just making a move.

No one is ever 100% correct 100% of the time with their reads, and you pointing that out is inconsequential.