Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   QQ with Overcard Flop - What's the play? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=127789)

Hooked on Fish 09-25-2004 08:18 PM

Re: QQ with Overcard Flop - What\'s the play?

Elysium,

Yes, re-raise pre-flop is correct. Most of time, this is my normal play.

Let's do a what if on this, if you don't mind.

I re-raise pre-flop, and then he re-raises, then what? Cap or just call?

Then let's use the same flop: A K 10. UTG then checks to me so do I check or bet? If he bets out of the gate, then you recommend folding. But if he checks, do I bet?

Thanks

bicyclekick 09-25-2004 08:28 PM

What an aweful aweful hand. Don't play 30/60 anymore for your own good.

Hooked on Fish 09-25-2004 08:50 PM

How about an analysis of how you would play the hand instead of being condescending?

goofball 09-26-2004 01:34 AM

Re: Results:

i have no idea what that means.

don't show your hand. ever.

Techin 09-26-2004 04:05 AM

Okay, we've established you have to three bet the flop. If you had, you'd have odds to call the flop if the button was in. It's not likely you'll chop if you get your card since you're holding two queens. The call is loose without the reraise.
I like the raise on the turn. Many great things can happen. You could get called down by AK, or you could make AA fold. Both are possible depending on your opponent. I've met "rocks" that will make both of these plays. And if you are against a jack, you still have outs. With his check on the river, I like the bet for the same reasons as I like the raise on the turn.
In a multiway pot, I'd probably just call the turn. Because you can narrow the rock's hand down, the raise is good.

elysium 09-26-2004 02:05 PM

hi hooked

cap the pre-flop if you can. if he checks to you, check it down. if the turn doesn't produce a set or straight, check-fold.

with the set, if he checks, betout most of the time. the only time not to is if this is the kind of opponent who would not reraise pre-flop without AA, KK, or AKs, and would also fear the straight, and so would not bet, but would also never fold if bet into. if there is some chance within reason that he is so weak-tight that he might fold a set, then bet if he doesn't fear a slow-play. if he fears a slow-play by you because you have correctly checked down a powerful hand to him recently, either because he may have been ahead or behind, then you should, once again, check-down the turn, even if he might laydown a set that beats you. if you haven't been able to beat this opponent, you are often better off folding when he bets out on the flop and turn. this is getting into an area that requires a higher level of proficiency than what you might pick up here because now, you need to know what that man is holding. if that man is holding a set stronger than yours, you must fold. how can you determine this? i'm still trying to figure that one out. your gut.

Hooked on Fish 09-26-2004 03:55 PM

Elysium,

Much appreciated response. Points well taken, and I agree with the play you present. I also appreciate that you took the time to provide a response as opposed to another poster who just said it was an awful hand and that I shouldn't play 30/60. I'm by no means an expert, and perhaps never will be. But I've had my share of success at 30/60 and higher limits, so I can hold my own. Just looking for a better way to have played this hand. Thanks again.