Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A 20-40 hand from Hollywood Park last night (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=124539)

andyfox 09-16-2004 12:51 AM

Re: A 20-40 hand from Hollywood Park last night

Because UTG raised and somebody 3-bet him. Because the sb is a maniac. Because in this game, A-K isn't going to win a pot unimproved. Because in this game they're not going to check to me on the flop if I cap. Because if I catch a Q and a T or a J and a T on the flop I'm not going to be able to buy a free card. Because top pair with top kicker is going to hold up less in this game than most others. Because I'm not suited. Because if I miss the flop and, as in this example, catch an A or a K on the turn, I'm very likely to be in a world of trouble.

Ulysses 09-16-2004 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn, son, the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gabe, you rule.

NLfool 09-16-2004 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because UTG raised and somebody 3-bet him. Because the sb is a maniac. Because in this game, A-K isn't going to win a pot unimproved. Because in this game they're not going to check to me on the flop if I cap. Because if I catch a Q and a T or a J and a T on the flop I'm not going to be able to buy a free card. Because top pair with top kicker is going to hold up less in this game than most others. Because I'm not suited. Because if I miss the flop and, as in this example, catch an A or a K on the turn, I'm very likely to be in a world of trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

go with this

Lawrence Ng 09-16-2004 06:05 AM

Pre-flop cap is ok in a crazy game like this with good position.

Flop cap is ok too. It's going to get capped anyways, but like El Senor said, you might just wanna call and see what happens the rest of the way.

The turn is where you lay down your TPTK. They are obviously not afraid of one king, or an overpair (AA). It's time to let go...

stanky 09-16-2004 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn, son, the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh. I reckon i misunderstood you.

-pete

bigfishead 09-16-2004 09:36 PM

Very routine in some areas of the country. In other areas you would be shown the nuts, 2nd nut, 3rd nut, and 4th nut would have folded on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But then in some areas 2nd pair no kicker coulda taken this pot.

hakeem 09-17-2004 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a perfect explanation, thank you andy. Unfortnately, this makes me wonder which hands *are* worth playing in these kind of conditions.

Might see you at Commerce tonight!

hakeem 09-17-2004 02:15 PM

Incidentally, the way this hand ended:

MP+1 turns over AJo which is good for the nut straight on the turn.

UTG+1 claims after the hand he was playing QK for the top pair on the flop.

andyfox 09-17-2004 02:31 PM

"Might see you at Commerce tonight!"

I'll PM you.

ike 09-17-2004 02:31 PM

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 30.15 % 00.27 00.03
{AA-99, AKs-ATs, KQs, AKo-AQo, KQo}
Hand 2: 41.95 % 00.36 00.06
{AA-TT, AKs-AQs, AKo}
Hand 3: 27.89 % 00.20 00.07
{AK}

You're not quite getting your fair share (in fact you're losing .33BB if you cap and its 3 ways) but this is a pretty tight range of hands for your opposition and I still think that in position with a hand that will rarely have to put a lot in behind you're probably profitable here after taking into account money you make postflop. Against looser opposition its not close.