Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   30-60 9-6 suited hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=117678)

Diplomat 08-28-2004 10:10 PM

Re: 30-60 9-6 suited hand

As everyone has already said, I'd bet. I doubt many players are balsy enough to go for a checkraise here.

-Diplomat

chesspain 08-28-2004 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All fold to me in the cutoff and I raise with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Button folds, SB folds, BB calls. BB is very loose and plays way way to many hands and bets too much with anything post flop.

Now, before you go on reading and making any comments, I don't need a twoplustwo lecture on stealing with 9-6 suited. I would like you to comment on my river play and that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, this ain't Burger King! You don't get to have it your way! Why don't you tell us why you raised here when you have this particular player in the BB?

SpaceAce 08-29-2004 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet.

he's got 6-4 and you can fold to the c-r.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

You're folding the nut straight for one bet on the river against a player who "is very loose and plays way way to many hands and bets too much with anything post flop"? No way, no how. I bet and call a raise. I've never played above $15/$30 but there is no way I can see folding this to the villain described here.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, he went TEN BETS on the turn...he has the same straight, a lower straight or a set...period...the board paired, he expects you to call after he raises, therefore he has a boat.

since he'll likely just call i think he has 64.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, he went TEN BETS on the turn which means there is way too much money in there to fold against a player who "is very loose and plays way way to many hands and bets too much with anything post flop". You're telling me this guy doesn't have less than a boat 4% of the time if he raises the river? I am not questioning your logic, I am questioning the idea that you can fold the river at 25:1. I think that fold would be absurd.

SpaceAce

DcifrThs 08-29-2004 01:43 AM

see egg on face post later on down the string.

gotta call...but even moreso, gotta bet.

-Barron

Lawrence Ng 08-29-2004 03:48 AM

Results

I decide to bet one more time, and I got check-raised and called.

No, Mike, it's not the kid, this guy was not as bad and aggresive as the kid, but close.

BB showed K-7 offsuit.

Yes, the steal of was off timing but in good position to do so and at the time I was getting a little too much respect on my raises so I had to vary the play up a little.

I was seriously going to check the way down if I did not hit because I knew the BB was capable of calling me down with even Queen high so I would not bluff him out.

There's a debate on whether or not 9-6 suited warrants a steal against a loose blind who is very defensive, but I flopped a pretty decent flop for my hand and couldn't ask for more.

Diplomat 08-29-2004 03:51 AM

Re: Results

I'm still trying to figure out why you checked the flop, despite your justification.

-Diplomat

Mason Malmuth 08-29-2004 04:05 AM

Hi Lawrence:

You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
BB is very loose and plays way way to many hands and bets too much with anything post flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, does it make sense to raise with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] before the flop?

[ QUOTE ]
BB checks, I decide to check because I know I'm going to get called down with Ace high, any pair, and my attempt to steal so far has failed so even though I flopped an open ender and a backdoor straight draw. I figure there is no point wasting anymore money unless I hit and I'm a dog on this flop for sure if BB called me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem to be making your decision here for the wrong reasons. You appear to have realized that you never should have played the hand and so now want to bail out. The fact is it now doesn't matter if you never should have played the hand since you are playing the hand. You need to make your check or bet decision based on the board, the action thus far, and your opponent. I think a bet is clearly correct.

As for your river play, does it matter very much? Given the size of the pot, he should automatically call you with some hands that you can beat such as a smaller straight and something like 87 which gave him two pair on the flop (which he overplayed) and is now a ruined two pair. He'll also probably raise you with a full house which you'll pay off.

I guess the real question is would he put all those bets in with just a set on the turn. Clearly he doesn't have KK and probably not 88 in his hand since he probably would have reraised preflop with those. So it seems to me that you are trying to figure out whether a check or bet in a spot that matters little is correct while there are other spots in this hand where your decisions are clearly highly questionable.

Best wishes,
Mason

Mason Malmuth 08-29-2004 04:09 AM

Re: Results

Hi Lawrence:

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the steal of was off timing but in good position to do so and at the time I was getting a little too much respect on my raises so I had to vary the play up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you described a player who wouldn't be paying any attention to how you play. So even though some of the others might be giving you too much respect, this person certainly won't. Furthermore, he proved that's the case by going all those bets with you on the turn.

Best wishes,
Mason

SpaceAce 08-29-2004 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
see egg on face post later on down the string.

gotta call...but even moreso, gotta bet.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I see it now.

SpaceAce

mmcd 08-29-2004 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BB checks, I decide to check because I know I'm going to get called down with Ace high, any pair, and my attempt to steal so far has failed so even though I flopped an open ender and a backdoor straight draw. I figure there is no point wasting anymore money unless I hit and I'm a dog on this flop for sure if BB called me.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to bet the flop here. I'm sure the main reason you raised w/ this weak of a hand here is because you felt you could outplay the bb after the flop. Sure he'll call you with A-high, any pair, etc. but do you really want to allow him to charge you on the turn with these hands. Bet the flop and check behind on the turn (if unimproved) here.

Just out of curiosity, looking at the results would he have checkraised his 2 pair on the flop or waited until the turn?

Also, do you think he would have gone to felt maybe w/ 64? Judging by how he played this hand, I think he probably would have.

I'd check behind on the river since you have to pay off a checkraise and the fact he stopped raising probably means he doesn't have 6-4. He certainly can't put you on 9-6 here.