Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Peak performance poll (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=184327)

2ndGoat 01-31-2005 03:49 PM

Re: Peak performance poll

I don't know if your proposed mental regimen would help the average winning player or not, though I've heard people claim they can't one-table online as well as they can two-table, because of that inactivity factor. Regardless, I do believe there are ways to stretch your peak playing time. I've heard that many world-class chess players adhere to not only grueling study but a strenuous physical fitness routine as well, both of which ward off fatigue. (And in the interest of full discolsure, this is just hearsay). I believe they focus/think way harder than we do while they're playing, and maybe they're on to something.

I know that since I began playing seriously, my endurance has increased a lot. To bein with, I could play at 95% of my peak for about an hour online playing one or two tables. Now I can manage about 6 hours of 4-tabling at 95%+, and I have confidence I can play solid winning poker past 8 hours, though I never play more than that. I'll admit that pokertracker helps with that a lot, doing a good deal of the thinking for me. I'm going to begin a slow climb to 8 tables (with two large monitors) fairly soon... I'll consider it an unqualified success if it decreases both my endurance and win rate per table by less than 20%.

2ndGoat

2ndGoat 01-31-2005 04:01 PM

I love when I get my sleep pattern rotated oddly enough that I wake up fully refreshed at 12:30am, can play through a couple peak hours, and then stick around with whatever living dead remains seated. Occasionally backfires if mostly better players hang around past 3:30, but usually seems to work really well til the morning crowds shows. The bad players don't change their play all that much except for the one that just has to get back to even, but the tired good ones are usually a little less feisty/deceptive across the board.

I'm with you Ray, 8 hours is plenty.

2ndGoat

TStoneMBD 01-31-2005 05:10 PM

i can maintain peak performance where i have not missed 1 hand for an entire 9 hour session, in which i saw everything that happened. that is not always the case, but i can definitely maintain peak performance for 9 hours.

Bellagibro 02-01-2005 04:18 AM

There is a tradeoff between putting in the hours and playing at an optimal level. It is much like playing one table or multitabling. You may give up a little but if your earn per hour is still reasonable, then by all means keep on playing.

The T.A. 02-01-2005 05:17 AM

My normal session at the B&M usually lasts about 7 hours, playing at my peak the entire time. I probably only miss three or so hands due to bathroom breaks.

With coffee at regular intervals, a 10-11 hour session at my peak isn't a problem. Anything longer, and yeah, my focus might start to dip. But if there's a good table, there's no point leaving. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]