Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Interesting $109 Bubble Situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=287350)

pooh74 07-06-2005 04:52 PM

Re: Interesting $109 Bubble Situation

Nice job old man!

Gramps 07-06-2005 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put the big stack on precisely any two cards. I think this was the fourth hand in a row or so he had pushed. He was doing was he should be doing - playing stacks and situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then...that makes it even more of a call. And that 15% 4th place figure assumption is probably a little high as well (even without putting the button on any two), so that makes it even more of a call as well.

Gramps 07-06-2005 07:02 PM

Owwweee, my head hurts. I feel like Will Ferrell in Old School right after his debate with James Carville (though his answer was much, much better)...

...Though it is nice to have an opportunity to make enough assumptions to make an econ professor proud....

DonButtons 07-06-2005 07:26 PM

Gramps, nice post, and very well explained why this is a autocall, especially vs a good snger who pushs a lot.

curtains 07-06-2005 07:37 PM

I would call!!

The Yugoslavian 07-06-2005 07:50 PM

Am I missing something? I think this is a fairly standard (easy) call? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'd make it at any level and on any day of the week, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Yugoslav

Scuba Chuck 07-06-2005 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would call!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur, I think what would be more interesting is "what is the weakest hand you'd call with here?"

asherpuppy 07-07-2005 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I would call!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur, I think what would be more interesting is "what is the weakest hand you'd call with here?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really great hand, because 88 or 99 would be my cutoff for calling (presuming the button is always pushing), I definitely wouldn't call with any non-pair hands. The biggest issue in figuring this out is the assumption about what your opponents are doing. Under very broad assumptions, we can assume the SB will call with any 2 cards. He would be crazy not to, the pot odds and his chip count are enough to call with anything. If that is the case, then we need to change Grampa's assumption to at least 50-50 that the SB will be gone. That makes a big difference in the calculations, and 88 becomes a questionable call. It's really, really close. If I thought it was at all possible that the button was only pushing his top 50%, I would fold for sure because my equity in the SB's potential demise becomes huge.

Just for kicks, if for some reason the SB doesn't call (maybe hoping against hope that you will), you can call with 99 or better if you assume the button is always pushing (which I think is a reasonable assumption). 88 is a mathematical toss-up. If you think it is possible that the button may actually only be pushing with top 25%, you only call with big pairs (QQ or better).