Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Disturbing e-mail from partypoker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288725)

SamIAm 07-08-2005 10:51 AM

Re: Disturbing e-mail from partypoker

[ QUOTE ]
Their demands are pretty clear.

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I keep a TexasInstruments calculator next to my laptop. This allows me to do amazing multiplication AND division, much faster than the average user. You think I'm gaining an advantage over other players?

Hell, I've learned a TON about my game from PokerTracker. This has been an advantage to me. The only question is whether it's considered "unfair".

The only thing that's really "unfair" is enforcing laws they won't define or clarify. I don't mind if they declare PokerEdge to be over the line. But when they randomly decide that PokerTracker is over that same line later, I don't want that to be Strike2 against me.
-Sam

SamIAm 07-08-2005 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it is networked to other players and that if someone running PE was unscrupulous they could have access to all those PC's at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is uninformed and incorrect. PEdge<ul type="square">[*]doesn't send your hole cards.[*]doesn't send data till 5 minutes after it's recorded.[/list]We can packet-sniff and verify, so we know the PokerEdge company doesn't get any information besided the observed history after we play it.

Maybe you have some more elaborate notion of "have access". Do you think a USER could do anything? That's wrong, too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I assume it's just a matter of degree. GT+ lets me view the data I've gathered. PEdge lets me view the data my friends have gathered. I agree the second one is more powerful, but it's a pretty vague distinction. That's why I want clarification.
-Sam

Subby 07-08-2005 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their demands are pretty clear.

[/ QUOTE ]Really? I keep a TexasInstruments calculator next to my laptop. This allows me to do amazing multiplication AND division, much faster than the average user. You think I'm gaining an advantage over other players?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehehehe. Sweet parody post.

LowDown22 07-08-2005 11:04 AM

I have not gotten the warning and I use PT and GT+. I think Party is only concerned with PokerEdge at this time. The problem is that you're not gathering player information for only personal use, but it is being shared with many others now. How easy would it be for the PokerEdge developer to simply tweak the software to send himself and other users the HHs in real-time as they are written? Not hard at all, and then what do you have....simply an advanced version of team WinHoldEm. I'm very glad Party is taking these actions and it makes me want to play on their site even more now.

OrangeHeat 07-08-2005 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We can packet-sniff and verify, so we know the PokerEdge company doesn't get any information besided the observed history after we play it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Currently yes, this is the case. I am saying there is a potential beyond this. I was referring to the operators not the users.

Orange

mattw 07-08-2005 11:20 AM

god forbid a poker player has to actually think for his/herself anymore. sure, PT and family give info on players one has not seen before. however, how many times do you need to see someone play j-5s utg to realize the playrer is a moron. if i see that play once, it tells me more than anyhing PT/relatives can tell me. further thanks that PT and family are almost worthless at NL.

conclusion: there are no conclusion. until sites decide one way or the other, the debate continues.

TheUsher 07-08-2005 11:23 AM

I just received this same email about an hour ago. Only thing I had open was Empire + PT which was idle in the background after I checked some stats. I've never have/had Poker Edge. Anyone else notice this?

Edit: I wasn't playing either.

Subby 07-08-2005 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just received this same email about an hour ago. Only thing I had open was Empire + PT which was idle in the background after I checked some stats. I've never have/had Poker Edge. Anyone else notice this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh.

grinin 07-08-2005 11:30 AM

You received this e-mail from Empire or Party?

TheUsher 07-08-2005 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You received this e-mail from Empire or Party?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so I clarify it too, I wasn't playing either at the time. (still haven't played this morning but I had Empire open when I received the email)

Received from: info@empirepoker.com

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

We are committed to detecting and preventing software programs which are designed to enable you to have an unfair advantage over other players playing at EmpirePoker.com.

This message is to inform you that we have come across an instance wherein your account was involved in using such program. Please note that EmpirePoker.com's Terms and Conditions strictly prohibit use of such programs and, in conjunction with our client, we request that you immediately stop using the program. In Line with our Terms and Conditions, we have flagged your account and will continue to review your account activity and game play for use of such programs. If we detect that you continue to use such programs we will have no choice, but to bar you from our site, permanently close your account and any funds in your account will be deemed forfeited. Please see our Terms and Conditions for further information.

Regards,
Investigations Team for Poker
alerts@empirepoker.com
http://www.empirepoker.com