Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   T9s play along (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=391245)

hobbsmann 12-06-2005 12:12 AM

Re: T9s play along

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I call the flop, check any turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm playing the flop identically and betting the turn about 1/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
do you bet a 9 or 7? How about complete blanks?

hobbsmann 12-06-2005 12:23 AM

The rest of the hand

so I think most of us agree that check/calling the flop is best. My feeling on the flop was that the pfr is going to continuation bet most of his holdings and the guy next in could be raising with as little as a straight or flush draw. The multiple cold calls are a little concerning as they appear to draws which makes it more likely the flop raiser has a legitimate hand. Either way my top pair +gutshot has too much equity in this pot to fold and I didn't like the idea of 3-betting.

My intention was again to check pretty much all turns with the exception of an offsuit 7 and figure out a plan when the action got to me based on the action plus the turn card. Given the pot size, my marginal holding, and the connectedness of the board made this hand very tough to play and thus feel pretty much all of these decisions could go ever way.

The rest of flop and turn action....

Flop: (14.00 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (12.00 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

I puked a little when button capped, but I have outs and am ahead a slim portion of the time so on to the river...

Thoughts on the flop or turn play?

private joker 12-06-2005 12:53 AM

Re: The rest of the hand

I play preflop and flop just like you did. But we diverge on the turn. I think I just bet this, hoping to 3-bet. Considerations are:

a) likely raiser is UTG+1, meaning the draws CO and button have would need to be strong in order for them to call 2 cold

b) trap UTG, the flop bettor who thought he could clear the field by getting UTG+1 to raise his flop donk

c) it's a scary board for trips, so if you bet and it gets raised and 3-bet behind you, all hands are better defined.

d) if you 3-bet and it gets capped heads-up, again all hands are better defined.

It looks like CO is on the nut flush draw, and I'd say button has a made straight -- against which you have plenty of outs. But if he flopped a set and filled up, or has a better 9, you're in trouble.

As you played it, I think calling the cap is necessary, and I'd check and not overcall a spade river; check-call a total brick (if CO checks and button bets); bet/call improved.

jason_t 12-06-2005 12:58 AM

Bet the turn.

sfer 12-06-2005 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. There are many cards I check the turn but not this one.